name servers

Old March 17th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dead Paul

Default name servers

anyone recommend one or two reliable nameservers for
public use? I want to try some alternatives to ntl's.

thanks.
--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

Old March 17th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

Dead Paul wrote:
anyone recommend one or two reliable nameservers for
public use? I want to try some alternatives to ntl's.

thanks.

apparently the following belong to verizon in the US but publically
accessible by anyone

4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2

--
Eps
Old March 17th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"andy" wrote in message
Dead Paul wrote:
anyone recommend one or two reliable nameservers for
public use? I want to try some alternatives to ntl's.

thanks.

apparently the following belong to verizon in the US but publically
accessible by anyone

4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2

I use those two for xbox live, no problems at all.

Old March 17th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

http://www.opendns.com
Old March 18th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PrŠth÷n

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Dead Paul wrote:
anyone recommend one or two reliable nameservers for
public use? I want to try some alternatives to ntl's.

http://www.opendns.com

I endorse Paul's recommendation for OpenDNS. Their servers are noticeably
faster than PlusNet's.

Old March 18th 07, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

why not use the biggest and most reliable DNS servers on the internet?
a.root-servers.net
b.root-servers.net
(alphabetically, A through M.root-servers.net)

I cant be bothered to figure out all the IPs but I know that A is
198.41.0.4, that's what I use for my primary dns all the time.

Rgds
Steve.

Old March 18th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Steve wrote:
why not use the biggest and most reliable DNS servers on the internet?
a.root-servers.net
b.root-servers.net
(alphabetically, A through M.root-servers.net)

I cant be bothered to figure out all the IPs but I know that A is
198.41.0.4, that's what I use for my primary dns all the time.

The root nameservers are not recursive and are not intended to be used
in end-users resolvers.

Example:

$ host www.cisco.com 198.41.0.4
www.cisco.com A record currently not present at a.root-servers.net
$ host www.cisco.com 208.67.222.222
www.cisco.com A 198.133.219.25
$ host www.cisco.com 4.2.2.2
www.cisco.com A 198.133.219.25
$
Old March 18th 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:51:12 UTC, "Steve"
wrote:

why not use the biggest and most reliable DNS servers on the internet?
a.root-servers.net
b.root-servers.net
(alphabetically, A through M.root-servers.net)

I cant be bothered to figure out all the IPs but I know that A is
198.41.0.4, that's what I use for my primary dns all the time.

And exactly what they're NOT designed for. They're heavily enough loaded
just resolving TLDs.
http://www.voipinside.net