Old January 17th 19, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers
Java Jive

Default the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

On 17/01/2019 09:14, Chris Green wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/01/2019 18:33, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number
of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are
offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired
connection faster than 100M.

Given that Gigabit cabling and switches and PCs with Gigabit ports have
all been widely and cheaply available for over a decade, I think it's
reprehensible. But you can only vote with your wallet - just don't
buy kit with only Fast Ethernet capability.

I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and
that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so
its not really a problem. However, for anybody using a media server or
any other service on the LAN there's hardly any point in going wireless
at all

Agreed. The moment you start backing up PC OS image files or media
files over your LAN, Gigabit comes into its own. As it happens I've had
to revert temporarily to having my servers connected to the rest of the
LAN via WiFi, and even though it's 802.11n accessing them is treacle slow.

There must be some rationale for this, apart from plain cost cutting -
what is it ?

Plus the belief of manufacturers that everybody uses wireless.

Yes.

I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

Why? Even though you may only normally use WiFi, sometimes unforeseen
circumstances can make a faster cabled connection incredibly useful.

All three FTTC routers I've tried (a D-Link, a TP-Link and a Draytek)
recently have had four Gigabit ports, though my old Draytek 2820n has
only one Gigabit port and three 100Mb/s. I think *modern* routers do
now tend to have all Gigabit.

Yes, same here - Cisco WAG320n and DrayTek 2830n.