Voip in India ?

Old March 19th 07, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Voip in India ?

A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.
I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
restrictions placed on the use of voip.
Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

Can anyone comment on the current legal and/or technological
situation for the use of voip in India?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 19th 07, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-03-19, Brian A wrote:

A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?

I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
restrictions placed on the use of voip.
Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

Can anyone comment on the current legal and/or technological
situation for the use of voip in India?

www.trai.gov.in should give definitive information. Informed comment can
be found at in.indiatimes.com and www.hinduonnet.com. I know this
doesn't quite answer your question but it should give you some insight
and perspective on the current situation.

Brian.
Old March 19th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On 2007-03-19, Brian A wrote:

A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?

I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
restrictions placed on the use of voip.
Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old March 19th 07, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 2007-03-19, Brian A wrote:

A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

Thanks gentlemen for your comments...

SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?

I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
restrictions placed on the use of voip.
Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

I am trying to get a fuller picture of what is allowed and what is
not. The last I read was voip to India PSTN was banned but does that
apply still and what about voip to UK PSTN. It is a ridiculous
situation anyway but it is best to know the regulations.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 19th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-03-19, Dave Saville wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:

There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

Both, I think. It would appear an ISP needs a license to offer a service
which carries voice signals from PC to PC and from PC to phone. The
following URL is a very recent one and may give some idea of the impact
of VoIP in India. It's rather long, so I've split it acrross two lines.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/
BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms

Brian.
Old March 19th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

wrote:

Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

I am trying to get a fuller picture of what is allowed and what is
not. The last I read was voip to India PSTN was banned but does that
apply still and what about voip to UK PSTN. It is a ridiculous
situation anyway but it is best to know the regulations.

A VoIP call terminating on a telephone in India is not classed as an
internet telephony service. So it is not banned. Or am I interpreting

http://www.dotindia.com/isp/guidelines.doc

incorrectly?

A VoIP call to a UK telephone is also not banned but does come within
the scope of the internet telephony regulations.

Brian.
Old March 20th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:33:48 +0000 (UTC), Brian

On 2007-03-19, Dave Saville wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:

There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

Both, I think. It would appear an ISP needs a license to offer a service
which carries voice signals from PC to PC and from PC to phone. The
following URL is a very recent one and may give some idea of the impact
of VoIP in India. It's rather long, so I've split it acrross two lines.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/
BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms

Brian.

Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
of
www.tinyurl.com
Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
strings in it etc.
If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
facility into your browser.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 20th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-03-20, Brian A wrote:

Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.

As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
of www.tinyurl.com
Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
strings in it etc.
If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
facility into your browser.

I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.

Brian.
Old March 20th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian" wrote in message

[snip]

I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL
across a number of lines is not very elegant and may be
challenging to piece back together, but basically I like
people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it and
may go for some indication of the destination plus
tinyurl.

Select the "preview" feature on the tinyurl site and you get that option.
Anyone clicking on the link gets taken to an intermediate page showing the
full link, they can then decide whether to go there or not.

Ivor

Old March 20th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian formulated on Tuesday :
On 2007-03-20, Brian A wrote:

[...]

Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms