Low cost line rental telephone provider

Old March 21st 07, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Sahil Akhlaq

Default Low cost line rental telephone provider

I was hoping some one in here could recommend a fixed line telephone
provider that has cheap (or free, but this probably unlikely) line
rental.

I have just started using voip for my calls (via voip.co.uk) and no
longer use my land line. I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
which I still want plugged into my land line (as I'm still not to
confident about the reliability of my Internet connection).

If possible I want to switch my phone line to some one with lower line
rental even if it means having to pay more for the phone calls (only
calls via the line will be from the burglar alarm, which so far has
only gone off the once in the last 18 months).

Thanks for you help

--
Sahil
Old March 21st 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Herman

"Sahil Akhlaq" wrote in message
I was hoping some one in here could recommend a fixed line telephone
provider that has cheap (or free, but this probably unlikely) line
rental.

I have just started using voip for my calls (via voip.co.uk) and no
longer use my land line. I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
which I still want plugged into my land line (as I'm still not to
confident about the reliability of my Internet connection).

If possible I want to switch my phone line to some one with lower line
rental even if it means having to pay more for the phone calls (only
calls via the line will be from the burglar alarm, which so far has
only gone off the once in the last 18 months).

Thanks for you help

--
Sahil

I presume you must be with VirginMedia for BB if you have no landline. If
you are outside of your minimum term, you could phone up their retentions
team and ask to cancel service. I quoted an Orange offer and they (sort of)
matched it by giving me 10mb bb + landline + 24hr inclusive calls for 20
pcm.

Old March 21st 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Sahil Akhlaq

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:45:51 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

Sahil

I presume you must be with VirginMedia for BB if you have no landline. If
you are outside of your minimum term, you could phone up their retentions
team and ask to cancel service. I quoted an Orange offer and they (sort of)
matched it by giving me 10mb bb + landline + 24hr inclusive calls for 20
pcm.

My land line is currently with talktalk but since I now use either
voip or my mobile for my calls I thought I could maybe find a phone
provider very cheap line rental I could keep my burglar alarm plugged
in to that.

I currently only have my broadband connection from virginmedia but
will give them a call as I'm paying 27 pounds for my Internet
connection so if I can save 7 pounds and get a phone line thrown in
to that'll be a bonus.

Thanks for your help.

--
Sahil
Old March 21st 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
R. Mark Clayton

news
wrote:

Sahil

I presume you must be with VirginMedia for BB if you have no landline. If
you are outside of your minimum term, you could phone up their retentions
team and ask to cancel service. I quoted an Orange offer and they (sort
of)
matched it by giving me 10mb bb + landline + 24hr inclusive calls for 20
pcm.

My land line is currently with talktalk but since I now use either
voip or my mobile for my calls I thought I could maybe find a phone
provider very cheap line rental I could keep my burglar alarm plugged
in to that.

But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

Old March 21st 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Sahil Akhlaq

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:30:01 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

Internet connection is with Virginmedia

--
Sahil
Old March 21st 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
NoNeedToKnow

On 21 Mar 2007, Sahil Akhlaq wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

Internet connection is with Virginmedia

RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
action of cutting the wire).

I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

ITplc (www.itplc.com) might do lower cost line rental, though it may not
be ideal (an annual contract, and was only a small amount cheaper that
BT). With any one of these 'third party' firms a faults need to be
reported first to your phone service firm, which will contact BT
(Openreach), so there may be a delay getting any fault fixed
Old March 21st 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Sahil Akhlaq

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:18:12 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

On 21 Mar 2007, Sahil Akhlaq wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

Internet connection is with Virginmedia

RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
action of cutting the wire).

I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

Now I understand. My Burglar alarm is not the monitored type, instead
it's got a automated dialer inside the house which rings 3
pre-programmed telephone numbers with a recorded message. so there is
no redcare service involved. I also don't use adsl. I have cable
Internet with virginmedia.

I'm going to try getting the deal Herman mentioned earlier from
virginmedia.

--
Sahil
Old March 21st 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Ash

ITplc (www.itplc.com) might do lower cost line rental, though it may not
be ideal (an annual contract, and was only a small amount cheaper that
BT). With any one of these 'third party' firms a faults need to be
reported first to your phone service firm, which will contact BT
(Openreach), so there may be a delay getting any fault fixed

There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
although performance of course does vary across different providers.

See -
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/prod...y%2007 a_.xls

Old March 21st 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Ash

wrote:
[...]

You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
rental.

Old March 21st 07, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
PhilT

On Mar 21, 10:12 pm, "Ash" wrote:

You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
rental.

not eligible if has broadband or another communications service. The
LUS is a social subsidy not a usage discount.

Phil