signal or network booster

Old March 22nd 07, 07:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

Default signal or network booster

Hi all,

Slightly off topic but still relevant to this group I hope.

After my existing router and modem set up failed, I took the
opportunity of making the change to a FritzBox 7140 and I have to say
it was the easiest thing in the world to set up, I had it up and
running in minutes, fantastic. ( You are right Ivor, it is incredibly
user friendly).

I then tried to set up my old router ( Buffalo High Power) to create a
bridge to boost the signal upstairs but after 2 unbelievably
frustrating evenings and many wasted hours, I realise that it is
beyond my limited networking capabilities.

My question today, is there an easy way of boosting network signal to
an upstairs floor? One that specifically will work with the FritzBox
7140, is there such a thing that I can just plug in and it will work ?

Thanks for any ideas,

Hana

Old March 22nd 07, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Hana" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have wireless bridging working with 7050 and a Belkin WLAN router
configured as a switch. Not quite sure how it is configured as I did it a
few months ago, but I can say it does take a couple of attempts, especially
if you are using MAC security. One thing I can remember was that I ended up
using WEP encription, as there appeared to be issues when I configured it as
WPA.

My advice is to persevere with what you've got to see if you can get it to
work.

Old March 22nd 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Hana wrote:
Hi all,

Slightly off topic but still relevant to this group I hope.

After my existing router and modem set up failed, I took the
opportunity of making the change to a FritzBox 7140 and I have to say
it was the easiest thing in the world to set up, I had it up and
running in minutes, fantastic. ( You are right Ivor, it is incredibly
user friendly).

I then tried to set up my old router ( Buffalo High Power) to create a
bridge to boost the signal upstairs but after 2 unbelievably
frustrating evenings and many wasted hours, I realise that it is
beyond my limited networking capabilities.

My question today, is there an easy way of boosting network signal to
an upstairs floor?

Yes a wireless acces point - Trying to use a wireless router is possible
but unless you know exactly what is required to stop the router routing,
then you will have problems.

An alternative is ethernet over the mains.

For an AP try a Zyxel Zyair B-1000. If you think you might need more to
repeat etc, try a Zyair G570S

For ethernet over the mains try a Zyxel PL-100 kit.
Old March 22nd 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Niko)

Hana wrote:
[...]

My question today, is there an easy way of boosting network signal to
an upstairs floor? One that specifically will work with the FritzBox
7140, is there such a thing that I can just plug in and it will work ?

Thanks for any ideas,

Hana

I think that the cheapest and simples solution is to use an external
aerial (2.4GHz, 8db or more...) to boost your signal.
Regards,
Niko
Old March 22nd 07, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 22 Mar 2007 00:32:47 -0700, "Hana" wrote:

I then tried to set up my old router ( Buffalo High Power) to create a
bridge to boost the signal upstairs but after 2 unbelievably
frustrating evenings and many wasted hours, I realise that it is
beyond my limited networking capabilities.

I don't know if I can offer anything useful but...
I have been looking at Buffalo stuff recently. You don't say what
model it is. Is it one that can act as a wireless access point as
well as be a router?
'Desk Rabbit' did suggest a wireless access point - which you may
already have. If you are not happy with your Buffalo as it is I do
believe that there is a reflash option with independent software from
here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php
I have not tried any of this but have seen postings about it.
I don't know if it will help you.
I did read somewhere that the Bufallo stuff was difficult to set up
with non-Bufallo products so it might not just be you who experiences
problems.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 22nd 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hana

I then tried to set up my old router ( Buffalo High Power) to create a
bridge to boost the signal upstairs but after 2 unbelievably
frustrating evenings and many wasted hours, I realise that it is
beyond my limited networking capabilities.

I don't know if I can offer anything useful but...
I have been looking at Buffalo stuff recently. You don't say what
model it is. Is it one that can act as a wireless access point as
well as be a router?

Hi Brian,
It is the type that can be used as a wireless access point, ( WHR-HP-
G54 High power turbo ) I'm going to try again with it today , I've got
instructions from Buffalo ( although they do say it is difficult and
they won't support bridging to a different router brand ) and
instructions from a networking website but I seem to get lost along
the way, it's all very complicated at the moment.

Thanks again,

Hana

Old March 22nd 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Hana wrote:
[...]

Wireless repeating using different brands is damn near impossible (Even
sometimes within the same brands it can't be done due to different
chipsets). Trying to use a wireless router as an AP/repeater just makes
it even harder.
Old March 22nd 07, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message
Hana wrote:
[...]

Seems to work OK for me (AVM/Belkin) although it was a bit difficult.

Old March 22nd 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Hana wrote:

I then tried to set up my old router ( Buffalo High Power) to create a
bridge to boost the signal upstairs but after 2 unbelievably
frustrating evenings and many wasted hours, I realise that it is
beyond my limited networking capabilities.

How are you attempting to bridge the two? Cat5 or wireless? If it's
wireless, then best of luck. Unless the hardware is specifically designed
to be a repeater [two sets of radio gear, two antennae], the performance
will be poor.

My question today, is there an easy way of boosting network signal to
an upstairs floor?

- Run Cat5 between the LAN ports of each
- Put them on the same subnet
- Make sure you only have a DHCP server running on one of them, or make them
compatible
- Make the ESSIDs and the WEP keys the same
- Put them on non-overlapping WLAN channels [eg 1 and 13]
- For best results, lower your expectations, as wireless often sucks ;-)

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:19:52 up 27 days, 22:33, 2 users, load average: 0.31, 0.28, 0.36

Old March 23rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

alexd wrote:

How are you attempting to bridge the two? Cat5 or wireless? If it's
wireless, then best of luck. Unless the hardware is specifically designed
to be a repeater [two sets of radio gear, two antennae]

"two sets of radio gear, two antennae" Eh????