Answer on voip

Old March 22nd 07, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Default Answer on voip

Hi,

I have just got my Fritz 7170. I was just wondering is it possible to set up
an answer service on my computer?? If so how do I do it? and how hard is it
to do?

Thanks

Nigel
--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Old March 22nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:24:02 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:

Hi,

I have just got my Fritz 7170. I was just wondering is it possible to set up
an answer service on my computer?? If so how do I do it? and how hard is it
to do?

It should be possible to set up an answering service on your
computer.
I have done it before with PSTN lines but I forget the software I
used. You will need to attach a suitable dial up type modem and attach
that to one of the phone outputs of your Fritzbox.
It is usually possible to have multilevel voice messages in this type
of software.
By Googling 'voicemail software free' you will find some software to
go at.
AVOID AVOID AVOID www.newfreedownloads.com AVOID
McAfee advise 'risky downloads'.

Power considerations:
You will need to consider carefully the power consumption of your the
computer you use and, coupled with that, whether you need to have it
on 24/7. If you use an old computer for the job, say a 600MHz
Celeron, it will take about 50W/h. My electricity, at the lower rate,
is now 9.3p/unit. That means ~41/year on your electricity bill.
You could try underclocking/reduce CPU voltage to reduce the
consumption.
Now if you could find an old laptop that typically draws 20W/h then
the cost goes down to just over 16/year.

A BETTER SOLUTION:-
You might consider, instead, using the services of
Voipfone Virtual Switchboard.
It will cost you less than the electricity bill to run.
GBP1.99+vat
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Virtual...hboard_IVR.php
I think that is a much better and greener solution.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 22nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Hi,

Thanks for that quick response Brian.
I will look at the web site now.

Nigel

Old March 23rd 07, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Nigel" wrote in message

Hi,

I have just got my Fritz 7170. I was just wondering is it
possible to set up an answer service on my computer?? If
so how do I do it? and how hard is it to do?

Thanks

Nigel

Not sure about that, but if you have the 7170, where are you located..?
AFAIK it's only available on Annex B (Germany) and not in the UK. I'd like
one but not sure how long or even if it will be released here.

Ivor

Old March 23rd 07, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Nigel" wrote in message

Hi,

I have just got my Fritz 7170. I was just wondering is it possible to set
up an answer service on my computer?? If so how do I do it? and how hard
is it to do?

Thanks

Nigel
--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

And your VSP's voicemail doesn't suit your requirements? Many of them offer
e-mailed voice messages. Voip.co.uk offers it in theory but not in
practice, though.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Not sure about that, but if you have the 7170, where are you located..?
AFAIK it's only available on Annex B (Germany) and not in the UK. I'd like
one but not sure how long or even if it will be released here.

Your right I am not in the UK!! I live in Austria although I am from the
UK. Click on link to find out about me.
I use mine with a cable moderm so the Annex B doesn't matter but Austria is
Annex B anyway.

You could buy one form ebay.de ( there are loads on there for about 90-
60 and most will ship to UK) if you use LAN sockets for your internet
conection.
The only problem is the menus are in German ( I am slowly learning it) but I
am going to get some help form Philippe from this forum. He has one and
speaks German.

I will let you know how I get on.

Nigel

Old March 23rd 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Nigel" wrote in message

Hi,

I have just got my Fritz 7170. I was just wondering is it possible to set

up
an answer service on my computer?? If so how do I do it? and how hard is

it
to do?

Nigel
Providers like sipgate.co.uk and others offer answering service. In most
cases, the recorded messages are sent you you by e-mail (sound attcahment)
hence no need to call your mailbox (apart form the first-time set-up)
Philippe

Old March 23rd 07, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Nigel" wrote in message

Not sure about that, but if you have the 7170, where
are you located..? AFAIK it's only available on Annex B
(Germany) and not in the UK. I'd like one but not sure
how long or even if it will be released here.

Your right I am not in the UK!! I live in Austria
although I am from the UK. Click on link to find out
about me. I use mine with a cable moderm so the Annex B doesn't
matter but Austria is Annex B anyway.

You could buy one form ebay.de ( there are loads on
there for about 90- 60 and most will ship to UK) if
you use LAN sockets for your internet conection.
The only problem is the menus are in German ( I am slowly
learning it) but I am going to get some help form
Philippe from this forum. He has one and speaks German.

Thanks for the info. I use ADSL on a BT line so require the internal
modem. Therefore the option you suggest would not be possible. The whole
idea of the 7170 is to replace my existing base Fritz!Box Fon and a
separate Wireless Access Point and also an additional ATA, thereby saving
three power sockets..! None of the available models in the UK have the
required number of LAN and phone ports, so I'm stuck unless/until the 7170
or an equivalent is released here.

I will email AVM and see what they say.

Ivor

Old March 23rd 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Brian A wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:24:02 +0100, "Nigel" wrote:
I think that is a much better and greener solution.

Weird how we had global warming back in the time of the dinosaurs and to
the best of my knowledge, they didn't drive cars or use VOIP. Maybe that
large yellow thing in the sky has something to do with the global
temperature?
Old March 23rd 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

The whole
idea of the 7170 is to replace my existing base Fritz!Box Fon and a
separate Wireless Access Point and also an additional ATA, thereby saving
three power sockets..! None of the available models in the UK have the
required number of LAN and phone ports, so I'm stuck unless/until the 7170
or an equivalent is released here.

Ivor
I guess you have the 7050, and want to replace with the 7170. I don't really
see the point, apart from having 4 Lan ports.
But with a simple, cheap, hub after your 7050 you can have as many Lan
connections you want ...
Finally the 4 LAN ports on the 7170 just work as a switch ...

One of the advantages you have with the 7050, and not with the 7170, is that
you can set the Box up to have 4 separate internal networks: one via the USB
conncetion, one via the wirless, and 2 via the LAN ports
In some cases this might be usefull, e.g. where you have share the internet
conncetion between 2 households ...

The only advantge I see with the 7170 is the USB host: you can connect a
printer and up to 4 (I believe) USB drives.
All these devices can reached from the network, without the need for a
running PC (e.g. as server for a shared printer)