OFCOM refuse to tackle false adverts from ISPs

Old March 23rd 07, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default OFCOM refuse to tackle false adverts from ISPs

OFCOM are currently refusing to deal with complaints about UK ISPs using TV
and RADIO adverts with the word "unlimited". OFCOM are referring people who
complain about misleading adverts to Trading Standards! They refuse to deal
with major UK companies although they acknowledged in a letter to me that
IPS's were misleading customers by using the word "unlimited" and they had
lots of similar complaints.

If you have been fobbed off by OFCOM and they have refused to deal with a
complaint they acknowledge exists - I suggest you send the letter with a
copy of your complaint to your local MP. Do OFCOM always refuse to take on
major companies? They suggest it is acceptable for the public to be misled
and for false advertising to continue on TV and radio.

Old March 23rd 07, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

On Mar 22, 11:23 pm, "Phil" wrote:
OFCOM are currently refusing to deal with complaints about UK ISPs using TV
and RADIO adverts with the word "unlimited".

is that possibly because complaints about advertising are the
responsibility of the Advertising Standards Authority ?

"The ASA is here to make sure all advertising, wherever it appears,
meets the high standards laid down in the advertising codes. Our
website will tell you more about the rules for advertising, let you
complain online, and explain how the ASA is working to keep UK
advertising standards as high as possible."

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/

Unfair contract terms or selling goods / services that are not as
described would be a Trading Standards issue.

Horses for courses.

Phil

Old March 23rd 07, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:23:13 -0000, "Phil" wrote:

OFCOM are currently refusing to deal with complaints about UK ISPs using TV
and RADIO adverts with the word "unlimited".

Naturally enough, since advertising is not within their remit.

they shouldn't be directing people to Trading Standards though,
because it is not within their remit either.

It is the Advertising Standards Authority they should be directing
people to.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Oxymoron: Safe Sex.
Old March 23rd 07, 02:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy C B Nicoll

Alex Heney wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:23:13 -0000, "Phil" wrote:

OFCOM are currently refusing to deal with complaints about UK ISPs using
TV and RADIO adverts with the word "unlimited".

Naturally enough, since advertising is not within their remit.

they shouldn't be directing people to Trading Standards though,
because it is not within their remit either.

It is the Advertising Standards Authority they should be directing
people to.

But I'm sure I've read that the ASA has no power to enforce things. Surely
Trading Standards *are* the right place? It's them that normally force
organisations to change/withdraw misleading adverts, eg those for dodgy loan
companies.

Old March 23rd 07, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jeremy C B Nicoll wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
"Phil" wrote:

OFCOM are currently refusing to deal with complaints about UK ISPs using
TV and RADIO adverts with the word "unlimited".

Naturally enough, since advertising is not within their remit.

they shouldn't be directing people to Trading Standards though,
because it is not within their remit either.

It is the Advertising Standards Authority they should be directing
people to.

But I'm sure I've read that the ASA has no power to enforce things. Surely
Trading Standards *are* the right place? It's them that normally force
organisations to change/withdraw misleading adverts, eg those for dodgy loan
companies.

However Trading Standards are simply local entities with no broad remit to
tackle countrywide abuse.

Graham

Old March 23rd 07, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:23:13 -0000, "Phil" wrote:

|!OFCOM are currently refusing to deal with complaints about UK ISPs using TV
|!and RADIO adverts with the word "unlimited". OFCOM are referring people who
|!complain about misleading adverts to Trading Standards! They refuse to deal
|!with major UK companies although they acknowledged in a letter to me that
|!IPS's were misleading customers by using the word "unlimited" and they had
|!lots of similar complaints.
|!
|!If you have been fobbed off by OFCOM and they have refused to deal with a
|!complaint they acknowledge exists - I suggest you send the letter with a
|!copy of your complaint to your local MP. Do OFCOM always refuse to take on
|!major companies? They suggest it is acceptable for the public to be misled
|!and for false advertising to continue on TV and radio.

A copy of complaint letters to the Advertising Standards Authority
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/ would also be useful.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old March 23rd 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy C B Nicoll

Eeyore wrote:

However Trading Standards are simply local entities with no broad remit to
tackle countrywide abuse.

On the other other hand, the man in the street can't contact their local
TSOs very easily; you ring the national Consumer Direct (or whatever it is
called) line and they give advice and they pass local problems on to your
local TSOs if necessary. Perhaps CD should be asked who the enforcer for
this issue is.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Jeremy C B Nicoll" wrote in message
.. .
Eeyore wrote:

However Trading Standards are simply local entities with no broad remit
tackle countrywide abuse.

On the other other hand, the man in the street can't contact their local
TSOs very easily; you ring the national Consumer Direct (or whatever it is
called) line and they give advice and they pass local problems on to your
local TSOs if necessary. Perhaps CD should be asked who the enforcer for
this issue is.

I suppose that depends on who you call. I phone up my local council and ask
for trading standards, they put me through straight away.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Parry

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:09:11 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

A copy of complaint letters to the Advertising Standards Authority
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/ would also be useful.

They have had several complaints on this issue and have decided it
isn't misleading. See
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudicati...ation_id=41287
for one of them.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Old March 23rd 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:
|!
|!A copy of complaint letters to the Advertising Standards Authority
|!http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/ would also be useful.
|!
|!They have had several complaints on this issue and have decided it
|!isn't misleading. See
|!http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudicati...ation_id=41287
|!for one of them.

Maybe a few more complaints would move ASA.