Busy Whilst On A VOIP Call

Old March 24th 07, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

Default Busy Whilst On A VOIP Call

When I am on a VOIP call, calls to my BT line ring (and ring) I have a SPA
3102 and have set the "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" to yes but this seems to
make no difference. Is there anything else I should set.

Thanx

Old March 24th 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Port Admiral Haynes wrote:
When I am on a VOIP call, calls to my BT line ring (and ring) I have a SPA
3102 and have set the "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" to yes but this seems to
make no difference. Is there anything else I should set.

Call waiting?

Anyway, have you got /all/ your house phones connected through your
SPA3102? If yes, the most* you can hope for is a call waiting bleep. If
no, those phones that are not connected to line one would ring on an
inbound BT call.

*it is early for me on a Saturday, so if I've misunderestimated
something, please forgive.
Old March 24th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

"Jono" wrote in message
Port Admiral Haynes wrote:
When I am on a VOIP call, calls to my BT line ring (and ring) I have a
SPA 3102 and have set the "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" to yes but this
seems to make no difference. Is there anything else I should set.

Call waiting?

Anyway, have you got /all/ your house phones connected through your
SPA3102? If yes, the most* you can hope for is a call waiting bleep. If
no, those phones that are not connected to line one would ring on an
inbound BT call.

*it is early for me on a Saturday, so if I've misunderestimated something,
please forgive.

Call Waiting Serv is set to yes.

I have left one phone directly connected to my BT line - you are correct (as
always!) this phone needs to be connected to the ATA as well otherwise it
will ring! Dooh! Sorry for being so thick!

Many thanks for being so patient to a newbie to VOIP

Old March 24th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Port Admiral Haynes brought next idea :
"Jono" wrote in message
Port Admiral Haynes wrote:
[...]

No probs.

It's not actually a bad thing to have one phone directly connected to
the line. If for some reason your ATA stops working, you won't miss any
calls - and you get two rings warning before the rest of your phones
ring.

Old March 24th 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Port Admiral Haynes" writes:
When I am on a VOIP call, calls to my BT line ring (and ring) I have a SPA
3102 and have set the "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" to yes but this seems to
make no difference. Is there anything else I should set.

Interesting. That must be a setting the SPA3102 has which the SPA3000
doesn't have. It must do something proprietry internally between the
two VoIP modules, as I don't think SIP has any standard way to request
you put a line off-hook.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 24th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Andrew Gabriel used his keyboard to write :
In article ,
"Port Admiral Haynes" writes:
When I am on a VOIP call, calls to my BT line ring (and ring) I have a SPA
3102 and have set the "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" to yes but this seems to
make no difference. Is there anything else I should set.

Interesting. That must be a setting the SPA3102 has which the SPA3000
doesn't have. It must do something proprietry internally between the
two VoIP modules, as I don't think SIP has any standard way to request
you put a line off-hook.

Upgrade your SPA3000 firmware & the function will be there. I think the
OP may have misunderstood its function, though.

It isn't supposed to busy the line when you're on a VoIP call, what it
does is :

When set to no, calls coming in on the PSTN can be made to ring the
line one phone...without first answering.

When set to yes, ths SPA should answer the call, then make the line one
phone ring.

Very useful if you use the PSTN-to-VoIP gateway.

Old March 24th 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

"Port Admiral Haynes" writes:
When I am on a VOIP call, calls to my BT line ring (and ring) I have a SPA
3102 and have set the "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" to yes but this seems to
make no difference. Is there anything else I should set.

Interesting. That must be a setting the SPA3102 has which the SPA3000
doesn't have. It must do something proprietry internally between the
two VoIP modules, as I don't think SIP has any standard way to request
you put a line off-hook.

Upgrade your SPA3000 firmware & the function will be there. I think the
OP may have misunderstood its function, though.

It isn't supposed to busy the line when you're on a VoIP call, what it
does is :

When set to no, calls coming in on the PSTN can be made to ring the
line one phone...without first answering.

Oh, actually I do use this function anyway.
I was thinking there was another function which I hadn't seen
(but which I would have used if it existed). As I said, I don't
think the SIP protocol has any way to request that an FXO be
busied out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 24th 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
"Port Admiral Haynes" writes:
[...]

My FritzBox does what it calls "Busy on Busy" so devices can reject calls.
Maybe a later version of SIP.