Unlocking the Netgear TA612Vsp

Old March 25th 07, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John

Default Unlocking the Netgear TA612Vsp

Hi,

I am looking for some help & advise. I have just brought a second hand
Netgear TA612V which is locked to Sipgate, from what I can tell they all
are, but I see on the Sipgate web site there is a link to unlocking the
device with "open Firmware".
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/au...artner=netgear

My questions:
1) If I unlock the device this way how easy is it to setup and optimized for
other VoIP providers?
2) Can the device be restored to the official factory firmware again after
using the open firmware or is this a one way ticket?
3) Are there any disadvantages' with using the open firmware over the
official factory firmware or is it the same thing with more options?

This is the message shown before the option is selected!

---
Please note: You are about to erase all configuration data of your device!
This process replaces the official firmware - which is optimized for use
with sipgate - with the "open firmware". That means that your NETGEAR device
will not be working with sipgate any longer!

Warning: If you update to the open firmware product support by sipgate will
be terminated for your device!

This open firmware is only for VoIP experts who know exactly what they are
doing.

You have good reasons to use the open firmware? Please follow the
instructions on the following pages. All configuration data will be
erased. ---

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Old March 25th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-03-25, John wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for some help & advise. I have just brought a second hand
Netgear TA612V which is locked to Sipgate, from what I can tell they all
are, but I see on the Sipgate web site there is a link to unlocking the
device with "open Firmware".
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/au...artner=netgear

My questions:
1) If I unlock the device this way how easy is it to setup and optimized for
other VoIP providers?

There should not be any severe problems after unlocking the TA612V.
There are enough indications (I trust you did some research on the net
before asking this question) that setting it up with other VISPs is
possible.

2) Can the device be restored to the official factory firmware again after
using the open firmware or is this a one way ticket?

The latter. But I imagine you can still configure it with a Sipgate
account should you wish.

3) Are there any disadvantages' with using the open firmware over the
official factory firmware or is it the same thing with more options?

There do not appear to be any. Having the official firmware simply makes
it easier to connect to Sipgate. Plug it in and you're up and running
with no need to input configuration data. It is doubtful an unlocked
TA612V has more options.

Brian.
Old March 26th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John

On 2007-03-25, John wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Thanks for the info.
Will try the open firmware and see how it goes!