Old June 30th 19, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default BT broadband issues

Recliner wrote:
I've had BT ADSL from when it was first available in 2000, and unlimited
VDSL2 FTTC for several years now. It's generally performed to expectations
with few technical issues.

But from early this year, my FTTC performance has nose-dived: numerous
dropouts and upload speed below 0.5 Mbps, rather than the ~11 it should be.
Download speed is very variable, but much less than the 50+ Mbps that it
used to be.

I've have five visits from Openreach engineers, who usually get it back up
to speed after some tinkering and resetting the DLM. But the fix never
lasts. Just about everything that can be replaced has been, including much
of the copper wire to the cabinet and the Home Hub. Has anyone else come
across this problem?

If BT really can't fix it, would I be in my rights to first demand a refund
under the BT Stay Fast guarantee, and if they still can't fix, cancel the
contract and demand a refund of my pre-paid line rental?

I'm lucky enough to have the options of both Virgin and Hyperoptic, both of
which offer much higher, more reliable speeds. Hyperoptic, in particular,
sounds very attractive. Has anyone here used it? I don't really need its
150 Mbps speed, but I hope it would be more reliable than BT's flakey
network.

Several suggestions:

Get a router that gives sensible diagnostics and writes to a syslog
server. Draytek or better...

Use an ISP that provides proper technical support - Zen Internet or
better. I know this doesn't alter the infrastructure which is still
owned and maintained by Openreach, but Zen or A&A will continue to
badger Openreach until the issue is solved.

Use F8Lure (see http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure) to monitor your
service, so you can look for any patterns of failure.

--
Graham J