Old June 30th 19, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

Default BT broadband issues

Graham. wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 30 June 2019 15:47:44 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
I've had BT ADSL from when it was first available in 2000, and unlimited
VDSL2 FTTC for several years now. It's generally performed to expectations
with few technical issues.

But from early this year, my FTTC performance has nose-dived: numerous
dropouts and upload speed below 0.5 Mbps, rather than the ~11 it should be.
Download speed is very variable, but much less than the 50+ Mbps that it
used to be.

I've have five visits from Openreach engineers, who usually get it back up
to speed after some tinkering and resetting the DLM. But the fix never
lasts. Just about everything that can be replaced has been, including much
of the copper wire to the cabinet and the Home Hub. Has anyone else come
across this problem?

If BT really can't fix it, would I be in my rights to first demand a refund
under the BT Stay Fast guarantee, and if they still can't fix, cancel the
contract and demand a refund of my pre-paid line rental?

I'm lucky enough to have the options of both Virgin and Hyperoptic, both of
which offer much higher, more reliable speeds. Hyperoptic, in particular,
sounds very attractive. Has anyone here used it? I don't really need its
150 Mbps speed, but I hope it would be more reliable than BT's flakey
network.

I had half day outages [and no rental refund] when BT claimed 99.9%
reliability some years ago, but the speed has been as expected both from
the exchange and more recently from the cabinet.

My usual recommendations for problems like this are two fold: -

1. Power cycle the router (at least 10s off, probably a minute)

Yes, I do that regularly. It doesn't usually help.

2. Ring the phone on the line, but don't answer it.

I'd have to turn the answering machine off. How does that help?

The idea is that a good burst of 75V AC might temporarily destroy the
non-linear junctions (NLJs). Typically these are corroded joins of
dissimilar metals that behave as crude diodes and degrade DSL
performance.

Just tried it, but no improvement. Still getting less than ADSL speeds on a
VDSL2 line that I know is capable of 50+ Mbps.