Porting Vonage to voip.co.uk

Old March 27th 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

Default Porting Vonage to voip.co.uk

Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
voip.co.uk.

I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed by a
call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated my
ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.

The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try to
grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it without
the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which is
also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
it back again...

Old March 27th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

On Mar 27, 5:06 am, "Herman"
wrote:
Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
voip.co.uk.

I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed by a
call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated my
ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.

The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try to
grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it without
the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which is
also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
it back again...

Since I am pondering making the same move, I would appreciate your
keeping us updated on this one!

Adrian

Old March 27th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Adrian" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 27, 5:06 am, "Herman"
wrote:
[...]

Will do. On the positive side, Chris from voip.co.uk is telling me he is
confident it won't be an issue. We'll see!

In any case I think it is still worth the risk, as they are not allowed to
grab the number which means it should be relatively easy to grab it back if
it does happen. All depends on the controls Gamma have got in place, I
guess.

Old March 27th 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bypass

Herman wrote:
Just a bit of information for any who have ported numbers from Vonage to
voip.co.uk.

I had about 3 or 4 calls today from numbers I didn't recognise followed by a
call from Vonage tech support. I believe that Vonage have re-allocated my
ported number, as their system did not realise it had been ported away.

The next step which is very likely to happen of course is for them to try to
grab the number back... Knowing that voip.co.uk were able to do it without
the intervention of any other party (including their carrier,Gamma, which is
also used by Vonage) I think I am likely to lose the use of my inbound
number in the next couple of days. This could be interesting trying to get
it back again...

That's interesting. Voip.co.uk tell me that they don't have any porting
arrangements with any service provider other than BT.

Are they spinning me a yarn, then?
Old March 27th 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Bypass" wrote in message
om...
Herman wrote:
[...]

They don't *need* a porting agreement with Vonage as it is the same carrier
(Gamma)

Old March 27th 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Bypass wrote:
arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

If they both use the same wholesaler, porting will not really come into
it. Porting is an arrangement between range holders more than anything else.
Old March 27th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bypass

Paul Cupis wrote:
Bypass wrote:
arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

If they both use the same wholesaler, porting will not really come into
it. Porting is an arrangement between range holders more than anything
else.

Thanks Paul. So what question should I be asking voip.co.uk if I want
to 'move' my numbers to a different provider?
Old March 27th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Bypass wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Bypass wrote:
arrangement with BT. And that's where I came in.

If they both use the same wholesaler, porting will not really come
into it. Porting is an arrangement between range holders more than
anything else.

Thanks Paul. So what question should I be asking voip.co.uk if I want
to 'move' my numbers to a different provider?

You don't ask voip.co.uk anything, you ask your new provider to port the
number to them. If they are willing to do it, they will either use an
existing porting arrangement or setup a porting arrangement to
facilitate it.

Or they might just tell you that they are not interested in porting the
number to them.