Fritz!box support problems

Old March 27th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Malcolm Loades

Default Fritz!box support problems

I bought a Frtiz!box Fon WLAN (Annex A) from Sipgate last week.

Basically it's a fantastic unit but I've two issues and AVM support
seems to only allow one e-mail out per 24 hours! You wait 24 hours,
they send a pre-written answers everything reply which doesn't address
what you say, you reply and must wait another 24 hours for the next
stage! NB Weekends don't count so Friday questions wait 72 hours :-(

OK, over with the gripe. Can anyone here help? Issue 1 concerns
Regional Settings. I selected UK and then pressed apply. On lifting a
handset I was pleased to hear UK dial tone. However, when a country is
selected and applied all extension information, custom dialling rules
etc. are lost and must be re-input. As soon as anything is input UK
dial tone is replaced by UK unobtainable tone - despite this you can
dial out and receive. Reapply UK country settings and UK dial tone is
back but all settings lost. Reapply settings and UK dial tone is lost!

Second problem is that I can't get it to work with PC's which I require
to have fixed IP addresses. I follow the rules and allocate a fixed IP
outside the range allocated by the box all as per the instructions but
it wont work. Anyone got this working?

Malcolm
Old March 27th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Have you tried phoning them up ??

I did and they were very helpful. Don't use the premium rate number try
this:-

+31 (0)24-3 24 95 60
( that is the dutch number but I am sure they will spaek English) or

004930399760

This is the one I used just say you have a problem with your box,etc. That
is the number I used.

Nigel
--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Old March 27th 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in message
[...]

The UK dialtone you hear in standard configuration is generated by your
fixed line, not the FritzBox. As soon as you move a VoIP number to first in
the list for the particular extension, you will get a German dialtone (which
sounds like the UK NU time). These tones are not affected by country
setting. Just to confuse you still further, if you now route that call
(either manually or through the dialling rules) over the landline, you will
briefly hear a standard UK tone, which again comes from your fixed line. To
overcome confusion, put the fixed line first in the list for extension and
then use the dialling rules to route calls. This way you will always get a
UK dial tone (assuming you keep your fixed line!)

Inbound ringing on VoIP lines is also one long tone (German) although there
are a lot of phones that have ring tones where you won't notice that anyway.
I don't remember there being an issue with country selection changes
resetting the configuration, but I would suggest checking for a firmware
update first and then playing about with settings, as changing firmware does
reset the configuration, and I have bad experiences of restoring saved
configuration after a firmware update. I would then reset to factory
defaults to overcome any corrupt configuration.

Regarding fixed IP addresses, could the fixed IP addresses be out of the
subnet? You should always have all computers on the same subnet (first
three lots of IP numbers, e.g. 192.168.178.n) so it is sensible to have a
pool of DHCP -assigned addresses set up in the FritzBox or router (for
example where n is 100 to 255) and use 1 for the FritzBox (or whichever
router you are using) and 2 to 99 for static IPs. Another potential problem
is that the subnet, gateway and DNS server addresses are not correct on the
computers you have assigned static addresses to. in a typical set up these
should be 255.255.255.0, 192.168.178.1, 192.168.178.1 respectively (2nd DNS
address not needed) where the address of your FritzBox or router is
192.168.178.1.

Assuming you are setting up a simple network (FritzBox acting as router, and
a couple of client PCs, or boxes configured as switches) then I believe this
should help. Other thing to check I suppose is that in Settings Internet
Connection Information, connection type is set up as Establish own

Internet connection (NAT router with PPPoE or IP), assuming the FritzBox is
your router.

HTH.

Herman

Old March 27th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Malcolm Loades

In message , Nigel writes
Have you tried phoning them up ??

I did and they were very helpful. Don't use the premium rate number try
this:-

+31 (0)24-3 24 95 60
( that is the dutch number but I am sure they will spaek English) or

I tried a Dutch number and got a recorded message in Dutch - not sure
what they were trying to tell me :-(

004930399760

This is the one I used just say you have a problem with your box,etc. That
is the number I used.

I'd not come across this one, I'll try it. Thanks.

If the premium rate one is 49 1805 etc. I did try it and got lots of
press 1, 2, 3 etc. but couldn't understand what the options were (only
German was spoken) and I didn't know what the options meant. In the end
I just pressed '2' and got ringing tone but no one answered.

I may well end up returning it for credit (possible within 14 days) if I
don't get proper service soon. It's already nearing a week since I
received it so can't wait on AVN forever. It will be a real shame since
I can't see anything else as good on the market. The problem of needing
to used fixed IP's is insurmountable. It does dial out and receive even
though the 'dial tone' is a UK unobtainable tone. Some may ask "Does it
matter?". To me "Yes", I'm fed up with telling anyone who uses the
phone for the first time that "Yes, it will dial OK". Plus I like to
deal with companies who want my custom and money as much as I want their
product.

Malcolm
Old March 27th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Hi.

004930399760 ( Just a normal number)

This is this number of the head office in Berlin.

I rang up and said 'Spache ze Englisch?' and she said of course and then she
put me through to some one in support who spoke excellent English and seemed
to know what he was talking about!!

I hope you have the sma eexperience that I have.

Nigel

Old March 27th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in
message
[...]

Malcolm, I use the original Fritz!Box Fon which is similar to yours but
without wireless. I have DHCP for the computers but fixed IP addresses for
everything else (printers, additional ATA's, wireless access point etc.)
and it all seems to work ok.

My IP addressing scheme is as follows:

Fritz!Box is set to 192.168.1.1 and it is set to assign addresses in the
range 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.200

The fixed IP's are asssigned in the range 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.19 (as
I only have a handful of devices that require it).

Re. regional settings, I'm afraid you're going to have to live with German
dial tone etc., I've been on to AVM for 2 years about it. I'm actually
quite used to it now as I know I've selected a VoIP line rather than the
BT fixed line.

Stick with it, it's a great device once you get used to it..!

Ivor

Malcolm

Old March 27th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Malcolm Loades

In message , Herman
writes
The UK dialtone you hear in standard configuration is generated by your
fixed line, not the FritzBox. As soon as you move a VoIP number to first in
the list for the particular extension, you will get a German dialtone (which
sounds like the UK NU time). These tones are not affected by country
setting. Just to confuse you still further, if you now route that call
(either manually or through the dialling rules) over the landline, you will
briefly hear a standard UK tone, which again comes from your fixed line. To
overcome confusion, put the fixed line first in the list for extension and
then use the dialling rules to route calls. This way you will always get a
UK dial tone (assuming you keep your fixed line!)

You're right! But you knew that :-)

Thanks for the very clear explanation.

Regarding fixed IP addresses, could the fixed IP addresses be out of the
subnet? You should always have all computers on the same subnet (first
three lots of IP numbers, e.g. 192.168.178.n) so it is sensible to have a
pool of DHCP -assigned addresses set up in the FritzBox or router (for
example where n is 100 to 255) and use 1 for the FritzBox (or whichever
router you are using) and 2 to 99 for static IPs. Another potential problem
is that the subnet, gateway and DNS server addresses are not correct on the
computers you have assigned static addresses to. in a typical set up these
should be 255.255.255.0, 192.168.178.1, 192.168.178.1 respectively (2nd DNS
address not needed) where the address of your FritzBox or router is
192.168.178.1.

Following AVN Supports instructions I UNCHECKED "All computers are
located in the same IP network". The WLAN IP address for the box is
shown as 192.168.182.1 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Checked is "enable
DHCP server at the WLAN interface DHCP server assigns IP addresses from
192.168.182.20 to 192.168.182.200 The instructions are to set fixed
IP's outside of the range of allocated IP addresses, hence I set the
first machine with wireless access to 192.168.182.2 and it wont work!

Assuming you are setting up a simple network (FritzBox acting as router, and
a couple of client PCs, or boxes configured as switches) then I believe this
should help.

That's how it's setup but still doesn't work.

Many thanks for response.

Malcolm
Old March 27th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bill Taylor

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:17:58 +0100, Malcolm Loades
wrote:

Following AVN Supports instructions I UNCHECKED "All computers are
located in the same IP network". The WLAN IP address for the box is
shown as 192.168.182.1 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Checked is "enable
DHCP server at the WLAN interface DHCP server assigns IP addresses from
192.168.182.20 to 192.168.182.200 The instructions are to set fixed
IP's outside of the range of allocated IP addresses, hence I set the
first machine with wireless access to 192.168.182.2 and it wont work!

Assuming you are setting up a simple network (FritzBox acting as router, and
a couple of client PCs, or boxes configured as switches) then I believe this
should help.

That's how it's setup but still doesn't work.

Many thanks for response.

Malcolm

Try unchecking "All computers are located in the same IP network".
Mine has this unchecked in an otherwise similar setup and everything
works.

Bill
Old March 28th 07, 07:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in message

Following AVN Supports instructions I UNCHECKED "All computers are
located in the same IP network". The WLAN IP address for the box is
shown as 192.168.182.1 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Checked is "enable
DHCP server at the WLAN interface DHCP server assigns IP addresses from
192.168.182.20 to 192.168.182.200 The instructions are to set fixed
IP's outside of the range of allocated IP addresses, hence I set the
first machine with wireless access to 192.168.182.2 and it wont work!

Malcolm ...
The FritzBox you have (I guess the 7050) allows you to run 4 SEPARATE
internal networks, each with their own IP range:
1. Network over LAN A
2. Network over LAN B
3. Wireless network
4. USB
In case you have unchecked "All computers are located in the same IP
network", you will NOT be able to communicate between PC's connected
wireless, and PC's connected over the LAN ports
Unless you have a very strong reason to operate that way, you should SELECT
"All computers are located in the same IP network", and follow Herman's
instructions.

Your fixed IP PC's should all be in the range 192.168.178.nn, subnet mask
255.255.255.0
(assuming your Box DHCP range is from 192.168.178.20 - 200, nn should be
between 2 and 19, or between 201 and 253)
DON NOT USE 192.168.178.254 as this IP adress is reserved for the Box
Your fixed IP adresses should have a DNS set. You can use either the DNS of
your ISP, or use 192.168.178.1 (using the DNS capabilities of the Box)

Old March 28th 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bill Taylor

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:43:11 +0100, Bill Taylor
wrote:

Try unchecking "All computers are located in the same IP network".
Mine has this unchecked in an otherwise similar setup and everything
works.

Woops, I meant "checking"!