Sipgate Phishing scam found

Old March 29th 07, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default Sipgate Phishing scam found

If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
had two recently, one with an executable, so take ca

Dear Sipgate Member,

We have temporarily suspended your email account
.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of
subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.

Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

also

Dear user xxxxxx,

It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
are out of date. For further details see the attached document.

Thank you for using Sipgate!
The Sipgate Support Team
+++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!

Please be on the lookout for this.

Ivor

Old March 29th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

wrote in message

YAWN.....YAWN

Now there's a surprise!

Rob

Old March 29th 07, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]

Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around since
2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it and kill it.

http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/an...32mytobat.html

Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been able to trace the
source which would have been far more useful.
Old March 30th 07, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Ivor,
its W32/Zotob.J or one of its varients.
This explains how it works, as you can see "Sipgate" can be replaced with
any string gleaned randomly from the victims email "from" headers.

http://www.protectorplus.com/virus_i...rms/zotobj.htm

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old March 30th 07, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message

[snip]

Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around
since 2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it
and kill it.

Almost certainly, as you say. But I hadn't seen the message text
purporting to be from Sipgate before.

http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/an...32mytobat.html

Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
able to trace the source which would have been far more
useful.

Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see, the emails were to a
friend not me.

Ivor

Old March 30th 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message

[snip]

Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around
since 2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it
and kill it.

Almost certainly, as you say. But I hadn't seen the message text
purporting to be from Sipgate before.

The domain name is a variable in the virus code, it just as easily been
bbc.co.uk etc..

http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/an...32mytobat.html

Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
able to trace the source which would have been far more
useful.

Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see, the emails were to a
friend not me.

Then ask your friend for the headers.
Old March 30th 07, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message

[snip]

Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
able to trace the source which would have been far
more useful.

Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see,
the emails were to a friend not me.

Then ask your friend for the headers.

I have done so, awaiting reply.

Ivor

Old March 31st 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Last Outpost

Rob wrote:
wrote in message

YAWN.....YAWN

Now there's a surprise!

It's only the Anti-Sipgate / Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter)... Ignore him!

Nick.

Old March 31st 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On 31 Mar 2007 09:12:44 -0700, "The Last Outpost"
wrote:

Rob wrote:
wrote in message

YAWN.....YAWN

Now there's a surprise!

Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter).

Nick.

Takes one to know one Nick and incidently it WAS Ivor who
started the yawn stupidity but I fully intend to finish
it and if you are anyone else dosen't like it tough .
Now FOAD .

If only you would, Ron.....

Ivor

Old March 31st 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

wrote in message

YAWN....YAWN

Just as expected.