SPA3102 or something else??

Old March 29th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SteveC

Default SPA3102 or something else??

Hi Folks,
I'm looking at getting the SPA3102 ATA.
Before purchasing, wondered whether there was anything else I should
consider, or is it a one horse race?

I want to use the dialplans to route calls based on their destination
via different providers.
Also want to be able to call in through it (say from my mobile when
not at home) and have it route the call back out to an international
destination.

I understand it can do both of the above with configuration (the
latter requires further config but is actually possible??)

However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want to have more
than one SIP INCOMING number.
And this I see from reading, is not possible on the incoming??

If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip numbers (and
assuming I decide I really do want this) is there another ATA I could
consider which has all of these features?

Many thanks

Steve
Old March 29th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

SteveC wrote in message

[snip]

However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
incoming??

If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
features?

The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.

Ivor

Old March 29th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:13:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

SteveC wrote in message

[snip]

However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
incoming??

If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
features?

The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.

Ivor

As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.
With the advent of Voxalot, the functionality of ATAs does not have to
be so great. Take a look at voxalot.com and see what you can achieve
with that. I have an SPA-3000, similar to the SPA-3102.
I use Voxalot and can thus have as many outgoing and incoming
providers as I like. What you can't do is have them terminating on
different handsets. If you want that you will have to go for the
Fritzbox which has a number of phone outputs (number depends on
model).
You also need to look at your current set up. Do you need a router or
have you already got one. If the former then you might choose the
Fritzbox because it has LAN outputs ( the number depends on the model
you choose). The SPA-3102 can be used as a single LAN output router,
if you wish, or, alternatively, just connect it to the output of your
current router.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 30th 07, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

SteveC wrote:
Hi Folks,

[snip]

However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want to have more
than one SIP INCOMING number.
And this I see from reading, is not possible on the incoming??

If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip numbers (and
assuming I decide I really do want this) is there another ATA I could
consider which has all of these features?

Many thanks

Steve

Do you mean you want multiple incoming accounts from different SIP
providers or just more than one phone number people can dial? Pretty
much any SIP provider will sell you as many phone numbers tied to a
single SIP account as you want. The latter will work fine with the
SPA3102 because you only have one SIP account to bother with for
incoming and all the numbers are routed to it by the provider.

cheers,
Paul.
Old March 31st 07, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Brian A popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
wrote:

|SteveC wrote in message

|[snip]
|
| However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
| to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
| And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
| incoming??
|
| If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
| numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
| there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
| features?
|
|The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
|outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
|not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
|different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.
|
|Ivor
|As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
|there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
|implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.

Not hard at all, done it in a few very easy steps. If someone is
interested I can make a sort of "howto", publish it on the 'net
somewhere and post a link here...
--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old March 31st 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

|SteveC wrote in message
om

|[snip]
|
| However, I *might* (say might 'cause not sure yet) want
| to have more than one SIP INCOMING number.
| And this I see from reading, is not possible on the
| incoming??
|
| If it's not possible to have multiple incoming voip
| numbers (and assuming I decide I really do want this) is
| there another ATA I could consider which has all of these
| features?
|
|The Fritz!Box range can have up to 10 SIP accounts, both incoming and
|outgoing. Callthrough is theoretically possible but I've never tried it,
|not having a requirement for it. You can certainly route calls to
|different prefixes/numbers via specified accounts and/or the fixed line.
|
|Ivor
|As Ivor says callthrough is 'theoretically' possible but I think that
|there have been postings that say it is hard, if not impossible, to
|implement. No doubt someone will comment on that.

Not hard at all, done it in a few very easy steps. If someone is
interested I can make a sort of "howto", publish it on the 'net
somewhere and post a link here...

If you want to email me the article I'll post it on my 'very
temporary' site and when I get the proper site up and running I'll
post it there. One of the main purposes of this new site will be to
house a knowledge base like this - but it will be much more.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 31st 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SteveC

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:17:28 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:13:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

SteveC wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

I've got a Thomson Speedtouch 780 router.
The Speedtouch VoIP functions are OK but has it's limitations.

So, I'm new to VoIP and wanted to buy something more "fit for purpose"
now I've had a play with it.

I was planning on having two geographic VOIP numbers so people can
dial in using these (one for business, one for friend/family).
Would use the VOIP for outgoing, and setup call plans based on
destination.
Same handset is probably OK for now.
Would then use FXO for backup if Internet connection fails.
Need the BT line anyway for the ADSL.

If I used Sipgate with two geographic numbers, it seems they require
you to have two separate SIP accounts (each with unique geogrpahic
number).. so presumably this wouldn't work with the SPA3102, as you
can only have one SIP account for incoming?? is this right, or have i
got it wrong?
Sorry for the "thickness" here..
I've not looked much at the other providers like voip.co.uk etc.. but
do they allow you to have multiple geographic numbers bound to a
single SIP account, in whch case this would probably solve the
problem?

Steve
Old March 31st 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

SteveC formulated on Saturday :

I was planning on having two geographic VOIP numbers so people can
dial in using these (one for business, one for friend/family).
Would use the VOIP for outgoing, and setup call plans based on
destination.
Same handset is probably OK for now.
Would then use FXO for backup if Internet connection fails.

Just bear in mind, the PSTN fallback feature of the Linksys is for
power failure only. It won't fallback /automatically/ if the internet
connection fails

Need the BT line anyway for the ADSL.

If I used Sipgate with two geographic numbers, it seems they require
you to have two separate SIP accounts (each with unique geogrpahic
number).. so presumably this wouldn't work with the SPA3102, as you
can only have one SIP account for incoming?? is this right, or have i
got it wrong?

Spot on.

Sorry for the "thickness" here..

We've all been there. No apologies necessary.

I've not looked much at the other providers like voip.co.uk etc.. but
do they allow you to have multiple geographic numbers bound to a
single SIP account?

They do, however, there is a nominal charge for the second number & you
have to credit the account for the first.

Voip.co.uk do have telephone support, unlike Sipgate.

That said, I've had as many technical issues (1) with each provider
over the last 12 months.