BBC:Net phone service rules announced

Old March 29th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default BBC:Net phone service rules announced

"Net phone service rules announced"

I think we all knew that this was to come about. Personally I think
Ofcom could spend their time on much more important things concerning
voip.
Vonage, in my view, raised an important issue. In essence: Why should
people have to pay for a landline telephone service that they don't
want just because they need a line to carry broadband.
VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
broadband only, product.
I did write to Ofcom, some time ago, to ask what, if anything, they
were doing about this. I didn't get a reply.
It could be that the maintenence costs are such that lines can't be
offered much cheaper, but I would really like Ofcom to look into this.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 30th 07, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Ofcom plans to consult later this year on whether net phone services should
be forced to provide access to emergency services.

As I use Sipgate and Betamax I have this mental picture of a queue of fire
engines and ambulances waiting to embark at Zeebrugge.

--

Graham.

%:Profound_observation%

Old March 30th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Brian A wrote:
VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
broadband only, product.

Yes there is.

http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

Tim
Old March 30th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:52:33 +0100, Tim wrote:
Brian A wrote:
VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
broadband only, product.

Yes there is.

http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

Yes, but the monthly charge for that line is the same as one which also
has voice service.

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
Old March 30th 07, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Graham wrote:

Ofcom plans to consult later this year on whether net phone services
should be forced to provide access to emergency services.

As I use Sipgate and Betamax I have this mental picture of a queue of fire
engines and ambulances waiting to embark at Zeebrugge.

Don't be ridiculous. You'd get a fire extinguisher with an ethernet port.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
Yes. I'm just guessing.

Old March 31st 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:26:56 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Ofcom plans to consult later this year on whether net phone services should
be forced to provide access to emergency services.

Irrelevant to the basic "phone line charges" for an IP only service,
but a major topic of discussion over-the-pond - especially with local
vs. FCC and geo-location stuff...
Old March 31st 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Brian A wrote:
VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
broadband only, product.

Yes there is.

http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

And no cheaper than a BT line on which calls can be made .

As a point of interest, in Australia the line rental is about
8/month*. You only need to look at the wide roads and bigger, U.S.
style, housing layouts, particularly in the suburbs, to realise that
the line lengths will also be much longer and thus have potential for
greater maintenance costs. So, that is 36/year less than the UK
charge and a phone service is still provided.
(*Telstra $19.95, Optus Basic $19.00)
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old March 31st 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Brian A wrote:

As a point of interest, in Australia the line rental is about
8/month*. You only need to look at the wide roads and bigger, U.S.
style, housing layouts, particularly in the suburbs, to realise that
the line lengths will also be much longer and thus have potential for
greater maintenance costs. So, that is 36/year less than the UK
charge and a phone service is still provided.

What is the difference once you take into account the relative purchasing
power of AUD in Australia and GBP in the UK?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:41:50 up 1 day, 3:28, 2 users, load average: 0.48, 0.60, 0.57

Old March 31st 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Soruk wrote:

http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

Yes, but the monthly charge for that line is the same as one which also
has voice service.

It is a bit cheaper for business lines.

For a business line, the cheapest from BT is 38.99 per quarter. So 13
pounds a month.
aaisp is 10 pounds a month.

All +VAT.

For a home line, BT option 1 is 28.07 per quarter, assuming direct
debit. 9.36 per month. aaisp is 9.35 per month.

So neither here nor there for residential lines. Depends if you trust
BT to not screw your direct debit.

Tim