VOIP novice wishes to test first stage

Old March 31st 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Williams (News)

Default VOIP novice wishes to test first stage

I'm still on dial-up here, but, in anticipation of having broadband shortly
when I move to France, I've bought a couple of inexpensive ATAs.

I've programmed one of them on my LAN - just the basic bit, not the SIPs -
so that (theoretically, as it seems to me, a complete newbie) someone
should be able to ring my bell if they knew my IP address using the direct
IP call system.

I appreciate we might not be able to speak (remember, I'm on dial-up!),
but, hey, it's Saturday night and I want my bell to ring! And it'll cost
nothing!

IP: 062255140001

(with the full-stops taken out, as my device expects)

I'll unplug it if it gets too noisy, and report back.

Forgive me if I'm talking through my suitable voip-buzz-word.

John

--
John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject
Old March 31st 07, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Williams (News)

On 31 Mar, wrote:

I've programmed one of them on my LAN - just the basic bit, not the SIPs -
so that (theoretically, as it seems to me, a complete newbie) someone
should be able to ring my bell if they knew my IP address using the direct
IP call system.

OK - 30 minutes and nothing has happened, so evidently I've misunderstood
the manual or everyone's out clubbing.

My ATA is from DigiDave's, made in China, and cost GBP17: GATE 101.

The manual says it can be used without an SIP proxy using public IP
addresses.

I /have/ purchased the adapters BT socket - RJ11 including ring circuit,
and have plugged in a working BT-compatible phone.

The ATA is plugged into my LAN, and I have AFAIK set the correct settings
for Static IP - my public IP as reported by the script at:

http://www.picindex.info/iphost.php

(it'll report yours for you), the IP of my device, the subnet mask, and two
DNS server IPs.

Is it unreasonable to expect my phone to ring? Have I misunderstood
something(s)?

If my expectations are unrealistic, forgive me. We all have to start
somewhere!

John

Old April 1st 07, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-03-31, John Williams (News) wrote:

I'm still on dial-up here, but, in anticipation of having broadband shortly
when I move to France, I've bought a couple of inexpensive ATAs.

I've programmed one of them on my LAN - just the basic bit, not the SIPs -
so that (theoretically, as it seems to me, a complete newbie) someone
should be able to ring my bell if they knew my IP address using the direct
IP call system.

You have the correct idea. That should be possible.

I appreciate we might not be able to speak (remember, I'm on dial-up!),
but, hey, it's Saturday night and I want my bell to ring! And it'll cost
nothing!

IP: 062255140001

(with the full-stops taken out, as my device expects)

I'll unplug it if it gets too noisy, and report back.

Forgive me if I'm talking through my suitable voip-buzz-word.

Two corrections. Firstly, your IP is 62.255.140.11 so that number above
should be 062255140011. Secondly, that is the format in which you input
the IP to *send* from *your* ATA. Other ATAs use '*' to replace '.' and
'@' when using IP-to-IP dialing from a handset.

My understanding of SIP addressing is that [email protected] should ring your
phone, so it is necessary for you to configure a username on the device
and let us know what it is. I admit to not understanding the GATE 101's
method of using only the IP.

There is the question of whether 62.255.140.11 is the address of the ATA
or the router. If it's the router's IP you will have to have the
telephony service on port 5060.

Brian.
Old April 1st 07, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Williams (News)

In article , Brian
wrote:

[...]

No, when I posted it was .1 - but it changes when the connection expires
and is renewed.

Secondly, that is the format in which you input the IP to *send* from
*your* ATA.

Ah - interesting

Other ATAs use '*' to replace '.' and '@' when using IP-to-IP dialing
from a handset.

My understanding of SIP addressing is that [email protected] should ring your
phone, so it is necessary for you to configure a username on the device
and let us know what it is. I admit to not understanding the GATE 101's
method of using only the IP.

It's an additional feature. I'm not yet registered with a SIP gateway
supplier - there's no point until I get broadband. But I just wanted to
test the ringing bit to see if it worked.

I suspect the [email protected] bit is part of the SIPs configuration, ie a stage
further on than I am. And I expect that's what's invoked at the likes of
Sipgate to connect one's calls.

There is the question of whether 62.255.140.11 is the address of the ATA
or the router. If it's the router's IP you will have to have the
telephony service on port 5060.

The IP address I gave was correct at the time according to the PHP function
$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] on one of my sites, and according to my 'router',
which is a box running IPCop, as allocated by NTL.

I deduced that when the router gets a call on port 5060, the default, it
identifies the ATA as the appropriate network device to handle the request.

I have been getting nuisance calls recently, and thought I heard a phone
ring at 3:30 am, but my conventional landline caller ID monitor showed
nothing. Either I dreamed it, or someone helpfull rang the ATA at that
time. I'd love to know which.

I composed a reply to your posting, for which thanks, but seem to have lost
it in a small crashette this morning.

Present IP for another 1 hour 40 minutes approx is 62.255.144.10, and if
anyone with a GATE 101 wants to give me a bell, that's:

*** to get the voice menu
47 to select the IP option
062255144010 my current IP address

Thanks again for input!

Best wishes,

John

Old April 1st 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Williams (News)

In article , Brian
wrote:

[...]

nothing. Either I dreamed it, or someone helpful rang the ATA at that