Equipment Suggestions Please.

Old April 3rd 07, 07:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti-Spam

Default Equipment Suggestions Please.

I nearly made the leap to VOIP last year, even after dipping my feet
in the water with SKYPE.

I have one ADSL landline coming in. I have a ADSL router with wireless
and Ethernet connections.

My main criteria is the following:-

I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.

I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.

I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.

When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
only has the one POTS connection.

Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

TIA
Mark

Old April 3rd 07, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
My main criteria is the following:-
I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.
I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.
I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.

When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
only has the one POTS connection.

Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

- You have not told wether you have a PSTN or ISDN connection
- You also did not tell how you want to organise the 2nd number dedicated to
your fax ? ISDN ? 2nd landline ? Voip ?

I would recommend the FritzBox
- FritzBox has 3 POTS connections, and 1 ISDN connection (where you can add
up to 8 ISDN phones or PABX)
- FritzBox can manage up to 10 Voip accounts, 1 POTS nummer, and up to 10
MSN (in case of ISDN connection)
- FritzBox can forward incoming calls via VOIP to your mobile

- In case you have ISDN, you can have 1 dedicated faxnumber (MSN), which can
be set-up to go to directly to the dedicated POTS conncetion (Fon1, 2 or 3)
of your faxmachine
- In case op Analogue: you can only have 1 landline number. In case you want
to use this for Voice, then I guess you will use a VOIP-in number for your
Fax? It can be set-up, that incoming calls to this line will go to your
faxmachine, however VOIP is not that reliable for fax

I believe you need to tell a little more details in order to get the best
advice

Old April 3rd 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti-Spam

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:45:14 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
wrote:

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
.. .
My main criteria is the following:-
I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.
I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.
I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.

When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements, but I did not want
to go down this route. The Linksys SP3102 nearly fits the bill, but
only has the one POTS connection.

Has any new products come out which will do what I want?

- You have not told wether you have a PSTN or ISDN connection

Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
out over VOIP to my mobile number. I would also like to set up a
second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
customers as a new "fax only" phone number.

If I also get the ability to phone in on my mobile, and make domestic/
international calls out over VOIP, this would be a plus but not a
necessity.

I googled up "Fritzbox" but it came up with different models, which
one did you have in mind?

Old April 3rd 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Anti-Spam wrote:
I nearly made the leap to VOIP last year, even after dipping my feet
in the water with SKYPE.

I have one ADSL landline coming in. I have a ADSL router with wireless
and Ethernet connections.

My main criteria is the following:-

I need a box that I can wire my standard house phone system into.

I need a second telephone jack (and second number) for my fax machine.

I need to be able to set the unit up, so that incoming calls on my
landline, get re-routed back out, over VOIP to my mobile.

When I asked last time, the best advice I got involved setting up a
spare old PC to handle my telephone requirements,

That is the cheapest and most flexible route. Trixbox is your friend.

but I did not want
to go down this route.

Oh well never mind ;-)
Old April 3rd 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

wrote:

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
[...]

Asterisk/Trixbox can do this. If your main phone is not answered with x
seconds, the call is forwarded to another number such as a mobile.

I would also like to set up a
second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
customers as a new "fax only" phone number.

Asterisk/Trixbox can do this. Mine sends me a PDF of the fax via email.

Old April 3rd 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-04-03, Anti-Spam wrote:

Sorry but I don't know all the terminology, but my landline is a
standard landline telephone line. At the moment I have a fax/answering
machine, which the "outgoing message" gives out my mobile number, when
I am not at home. I wanted to be able to set the system up so that,
when I leave my home in the morning, I set the system so that incoming
calls on my existing standard telephone line and number, get re-routed
out over VOIP to my mobile number. I would also like to set up a
second separate VOIP phone number, which I would give out to my
customers as a new "fax only" phone number.

If I also get the ability to phone in on my mobile, and make domestic/
international calls out over VOIP, this would be a plus but not a
necessity.

How about having two devices? Something like the Linksys you mentioned
before - that would cater for the diversion to your mobile. And then add
an inexpensive VPA-11 to the network for the fax bit.

Time of Day routeing might be something to look at as well. See what
VoipTalk and Voipfone have to offer.

Brian.
Old April 3rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti-Spam

On 2007-04-03, Anti-Spam wrote:

[...]

Never thought of that, sounds like the way for me.

Old April 5th 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Apr 3, 12:29 pm, Brian wrote:
On 2007-04-03, Anti-Spam wrote:

[...]

I also noticed that voiptalk have unlimited (well fair use policy as
always) calling to uk, usa, europe for a tenner. Is this new? I
checked their rates on the plan and these are also pretty low. Not
sure where the catch is.

Deev

Old April 5th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 2007-04-05, wrote:

On Apr 3, 12:29 pm, Brian wrote:
Time of Day routeing might be something to look at as well. See
whatVoipTalkand Voipfone have to offer.

Brian.

I also noticed thatvoiptalkhave unlimited (well fair use policy as
always) calling to uk, usa, europe for a tenner. Is this new? I
checked their rates on the plan and these are also pretty low. Not
sure where the catch is.

An excerpt from a recentVoipTalkemail says:

We are proud to introduce the new single rate for ourVoIPtalk
Unlimited Package. From 1st April, 2007, there will no longer be
four different categories, we have simply combined all our UK,
Europe and USA tariffs into one amazingly priced package which
includes UK, European and USA destinations!

Note that the 9.99 GBP per month has VAT added to it.

Brian.

Doesn't bother me - i'll just claim it :-)

Also, they have 0.9p on prepay silver tariff - again excludes vat.
They seem to have lowered pricing everywhere.

Dee