Old February 13th 20, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

Default Changing DNS PTR entries

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 15:46:00 Graham J wrote:

David Rance wrote:
Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to change my DNS PTR
entry?
I have operated my own email server for some ten years now without
any problems but because ESPs are clamping down on spam, etc., they
have brought in draconian rules which are now preventing me from
sending mail to, notably, any gmx accounts. So there are a number of
my contacts that I can now no longer communicate with, simply because
they have a gmx account.
Gmx are using what is said to be a deprecated method of validating
email, i.e. they are checking the reverse DNS (PTR) and which has to
agree with the domain name. 123-reg, who do allow customers to make
DNS changes to their domain, tell me that they don't allow customers
to change the PTR entry and so I'm wondering if there are any other
companies that will allow me to do that.
I've tried putting a PTR entry in the SPF policy but that doesn't
work.
I would be grateful for (ahem!) any pointers!

Do I understand correctly that you operate your own mail server on your
own premises? And your public IP address is static, and not provided
by 123-reg?

Thanks for your reply, Graham. You're correct on all points.

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send
through smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come
from the IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be
the same as the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

That would work if I had an email account with 123-reg which I don't and
would have to pay for one! Unless anyone knows differently.

David