Old February 14th 20, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Changing DNS PTR entries

David Rance wrote:

[snip]

Do I understand correctly that you operate your own mail server on
your own premises?* And your public IP address is static, and not
provided by 123-reg?

Thanks for your reply, Graham.* You're correct on all points.

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send
through smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come
from the IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be
the same as the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

That would work if I had an email account with 123-reg which I don't and
would have to pay for one! Unless anyone knows differently.

I'm confused.

You have a domain name registered with 123-reg - yes?

You have a website hosted with 123-reg, of the form DavidRance.co.uk -
yes?

I also have some websites hosted with 123-reg and I get 600 free email
addresses, which I can associate with any of my websites. I have their
Linux Starter Hosting for one website and Linux Plus Hosting for
another. This means I have the use of their SMTP server
smtp.123-reg.co.uk - have you checked with 123-reg that you don't have
these free email addresses?

You operate a mail server and at 123-reg there is an MX record pointing
to the IP address of your mail server, so any mail of the form
" is delivered to your mail server - yes? So your
mailserver should be able to send through smtp.123-reg.co.uk using the
name " and the pasword you have set up for that
account.

If I have this wrong, why not talk to the ISP that provides your
internet connection? You may be able to send through their SMTP server
after you have asked them to relay for your email address
" - and they will set up the reverse DNS pointer.
But I am aware that some connectivity providers only offer very basic
email facilities, or sometimes none at all.

--
Graham J