Old February 14th 20, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

Default Changing DNS PTR entries

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:28:52 Graham J wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you operate your own mail server on
your own premises?* And your public IP address is static, and not
provided by 123-reg?

Thanks for your reply, Graham.* You're correct on all points.

If so the best solution is to configure your mail server to send
through smtp.123-reg.co.uk - that way your emails will appear to come
the IP address associated with smtp.123-reg.co.uk, which will be the
same as the IP address of your domain hosted with 123-reg.

That would work if I had an email account with 123-reg which I don't
and would have to pay for one! Unless anyone knows differently.

I'm confused.

You have a domain name registered with 123-reg - yes?

Yes

You have a website hosted with 123-reg, of the form DavidRance.co.uk -
yes?

Well, close! The website is hosted on my machine here. If you are
curious enough to look at it you will see that it is a private site for
local crematorium organists, but don't let that confuse you because it
has nothing to do with the DNS. Neither will you find links to any other
pages. Only registered users can get any further.

I also have some websites hosted with 123-reg and I get 600 free email
addresses, which I can associate with any of my websites. I have their
Linux Starter Hosting for one website and Linux Plus Hosting for
another. This means I have the use of their SMTP server
smtp.123-reg.co.uk - have you checked with 123-reg that you don't have
these free email addresses?

I have no websites with 123.reg so no email addresses.

You operate a mail server and at 123-reg there is an MX record pointing
to the IP address of your mail server, so any mail of the form
" is delivered to your mail server - yes?

nameatrancedotorgdotuk

So your mailserver should be able to send through smtp.123-reg.co.uk
using the name " and the pasword you have set up
for that account.

No, as I have said, I have no access to smtp.123.reg.co.uk because I
have no email account with them. I use a Mercury server with an
end-to-end module which sends directly to the recipients' ISP. So the
receiving end sees that the mail is being sent by rance.org.uk. But when
gmx tries to check the PTR entry, it gets an address from the ISP's
pool, which it interprets as a dynamic IP (which it isn't, of course).

If I have this wrong, why not talk to the ISP that provides your
internet connection? You may be able to send through their SMTP server
after you have asked them to relay for your email address
" - and they will set up the reverse DNS pointer.
But I am aware that some connectivity providers only offer very basic
email facilities, or sometimes none at all.

The domain name is registered with 123-reg, but the IP address is
provided by IDnet. I don't have email facilities with either. As the DNS
has been readdressed to 123-net so that I can change it as needed, I've
naturally thought that the PTR is included but they assure me that it
isn't - or they are unwilling to change it. Maybe I need to get in touch
with IDnet to see if the PTR entry is still configurable by them.
Failing that, I'll need to change my ISP to, say, Zen which Malcolm
recommends.

But thanks for your thoughts. It helps to clarify things in my mind.

David