Old February 14th 20, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Default CCTV

"Woody" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a wireless IP camera that works without needing to
talk to a server somewhere at a cost, and itself doesn't cost the earth? I
want to be able to view its output from my phone.

Ideally the camera should be waterproof so it can be outside, and need
only a power supply from a wall-wart. I don't need an internal SD card for
storage, and I don't need it to be remotely moveable, just have a lens and
some IR LEDs for night-time.

We have a couple of Foscam F18910W cameras which are a few years old now.
The picture quality isn't brilliant and the lens focus changes between
visible light and IR (so you have to focus manually for one or the other -
there's no remote electronic adjustment). I'm not sure how waterproof they
a I've only ever used them indoors. They are remotely moveable, so that's
a feature which you don't actually need, but could come in handy. They are
powered from mains wall-warts.

They present a web interface on a LAN IP address - you either configure the
cameras to use a static IP or else (a better solution) configure your router
to reserve a fixed IP address.

The cameras come with a dynamic DNS entry so ds1234.myfoscam.org (for some
value of 1234) automatically points to your router's WAN IP when accessed
from outside your LAN. It requires setting up port forwarding in the router
to allow (for example) ds1234.myfoscam.org:81 and ds1234.myfoscam.org:82 of
your WAN IP to redirect to 192.168.1.2:80 and 192.168.1.3:80 respectively.