Old February 14th 20, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default CCTV

NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a wireless IP camera that works without needing
to talk to a server somewhere at a cost, and itself doesn't cost the
earth? I want to be able to view its output from my phone.

Ideally the camera should be waterproof so it can be outside, and need
only a power supply from a wall-wart. I don't need an internal SD card
for storage, and I don't need it to be remotely moveable, just have a
lens and some IR LEDs for night-time.

We have a couple of Foscam F18910W cameras which are a few years old
now. The picture quality isn't brilliant and the lens focus changes
between visible light and IR (so you have to focus manually for one or
the other - there's no remote electronic adjustment). I'm not sure how
waterproof they a I've only ever used them indoors. They are remotely
moveable, so that's a feature which you don't actually need, but could
come in handy. They are powered from mains wall-warts.

They present a web interface on a LAN IP address - you either configure
the cameras to use a static IP or else (a better solution) configure
your router to reserve a fixed IP address.

The cameras come with a dynamic DNS entry so ds1234.myfoscam.org (for
some value of 1234) automatically points to your router's WAN IP when
accessed from outside your LAN. It requires setting up port forwarding
in the router to allow (for example) ds1234.myfoscam.org:81 and
ds1234.myfoscam.org:82 of your WAN IP to redirect to 192.168.1.2:80 and
192.168.1.3:80 respectively.

Or you can have a static public IP provided by your ISP and configure
your router for port forwarding tothe camera.

If you can get one with PoE it may be better to run outdoor grade Cat5
cable (maximum 100 metres length) to the camera - this avoids the
unreliability of WiFi, and doesn't require the camera's location to have
mains power.

--
Graham J