Old February 14th 20, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Default CCTV

"Graham J" wrote in message
NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a wireless IP camera that works without needing to
talk to a server somewhere at a cost, and itself doesn't cost the earth?
I want to be able to view its output from my phone.

Ideally the camera should be waterproof so it can be outside, and need
only a power supply from a wall-wart. I don't need an internal SD card
for storage, and I don't need it to be remotely moveable, just have a
lens and some IR LEDs for night-time.

We have a couple of Foscam F18910W cameras which are a few years old now.
The picture quality isn't brilliant and the lens focus changes between
visible light and IR (so you have to focus manually for one or the
other - there's no remote electronic adjustment). I'm not sure how
waterproof they a I've only ever used them indoors. They are remotely
moveable, so that's a feature which you don't actually need, but could
come in handy. They are powered from mains wall-warts.

They present a web interface on a LAN IP address - you either configure
the cameras to use a static IP or else (a better solution) configure your
router to reserve a fixed IP address.

The cameras come with a dynamic DNS entry so ds1234.myfoscam.org (for
some value of 1234) automatically points to your router's WAN IP when
accessed from outside your LAN. It requires setting up port forwarding in
the router to allow (for example) ds1234.myfoscam.org:81 and
ds1234.myfoscam.org:82 of your WAN IP to redirect to 192.168.1.2:80 and
192.168.1.3:80 respectively.

Or you can have a static public IP provided by your ISP and configure your
router for port forwarding tothe camera.

Yes, having a static WAN IP avoids the need to use DDNS for URL-to-IP
mapping. Either way, you still need to set up port fowarding.

If you can get one with PoE it may be better to run outdoor grade Cat5
cable (maximum 100 metres length) to the camera - this avoids the
unreliability of WiFi, and doesn't require the camera's location to have
mains power.

Assuming that camera supports power over Ethernet. I don't think mine does,
though I don't have any way of injecting power into an Ethernet cable from a
remote point so I can test it.

I always prefer to use Ethernet rather than wifi for anything if there's the
choice ;-) If it involves drilling holes through walls or ceilings to run
Cat 5, wifi is usually considerably easier...