Old February 14th 20, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Default CCTV

"Woody" wrote in message
On Fri 14/02/2020 16:16, Graham J wrote:
NY wrote:
I always prefer to use Ethernet rather than wifi for anything if there's
the choice ;-) If it involves drilling holes through walls or ceilings
to run Cat 5, wifi is usually considerably easier...

Easier and reliable are often mutually exclusive !

True. Going between one room and another by Ethernet involves drilling a
hole through a wall, big enough to take an RJ45 plug as well as the cable
(I've tried IDC plugs that you crimp onto the wires, but it was incredibly
fiddly to get all the wires to stay in the right order as I crimped), or
else relies on running Cat 5 through doorways under the metal strip between
one carpet and another. At least the modern flat Cat 5 is easier to hide
under the edge of a carpet or a metal doorway strip than the older round fat
cable.

Given an access point is only a few feet away the other side of a wall I
doubt I will have any signal issues!

Don't bet on it. My laptop (which I'm currently using as a backup PVR for
times when we need to record a second overlapping programme) is about 2 feet
from the router with nothing in the way. But for copying or reading
recordings by SMB share, the transfer rate is *very* slow by wifi compared
with Ethernet. Over wifi, when copying a 1 GB file, the laptop usually
reports about 70-80 Mbps and achieves a maximum of about 30% usage of that
70-80 Mbps (as reported by Task Manager | Networking), whereas over Ethernet
it reports 1 Gbps and achieves about 90-100% usage. And whereas over
Ethernet it's a pretty constant flat-out transfer rate, over wifi it's up
and down and all over the place in a roughly sawtooth pattern wrt time, with
a period of about 10 seconds.

Maybe it's a dodgy wifi adaptor in my laptop; if I had a USB one I'd try
that for comparison.

Wifi is great for completely wireless access for low data-rate usage (web
browsing, accessing emails) but for high throughput and 100% "it just works,
no fuss or downtime" I'd go for Ethernet every time.