Skype/tracing users

Old April 11th 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Abo

Default Skype/tracing users

Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
that user be traced by e.g. the police?

Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
wondering...

--
Abo
BATracer: Browser Based Racing Simulation:
Old April 11th 07, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Colin Wilson

Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
that user be traced by e.g. the police?
Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
wondering...

Probably, but it might take an approach by the police to skype to
release the logs...

I can't remember the last time I checked the skype T&Cs, but they
probably allow for the release of such into without a court order,
BICBW
Old April 11th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
andy

On Apr 11, 5:16 pm, Abo wrote:
Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
that user be traced by e.g. the police?

Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
wondering...

Even if there is a SkypeIn number, it is not sent as caller ID

as for investigation, I don't know, but as it takes between a week and
a month or never to get a reply from Skype customer services, I hope
the Police have a better method of approach, but also bear in mind
that there could be more than one country involved

Old April 12th 07, 05:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Abo

andy wrote:
On Apr 11, 5:16 pm, Abo wrote:
Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
that user be traced by e.g. the police?

Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
wondering...

Even if there is a SkypeIn number, it is not sent as caller ID

Didn't know that; I've never used Skypeout

that there could be more than one country involved

Yeah, that's what started me thinking about it. I bet the police would
get frustrated and give up, unless there was some *serious* crime
involved. Maybe in that case they'd work with their foreign
counterparts. There's nothing like a free trip abroad

Old April 13th 07, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Dennis Ferguson

On 2007-04-12, Abo wrote:
andy wrote:
that there could be more than one country involved

Yeah, that's what started me thinking about it. I bet the police would
get frustrated and give up, unless there was some *serious* crime
involved. Maybe in that case they'd work with their foreign
counterparts. There's nothing like a free trip abroad

Actually I wouldn't count on this being all that difficult for the
police. The police wouldn't necessarily know the call came from a Skype
user, but they'd certainly know which carrier delivered the call to the
UK phone network (for Skype I think this is Cable & Wireless), and would
ask them. I doubt Cable & Wireless is limited to Skype's support channel,
and would probably have a way to obtain the information Skype knows about
the originator of the call for law enforcement purposes. I don't know
about the UK, but in other countries it wouldn't be legal for a
carrier to deliver calls for Skype if a call's origin couldn't be
located by the carrier in a reasonable hurry.

Dennis Ferguson
Old April 22nd 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Already happened

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...ve_ceo_cuffed/