Betamax. Whats all this about "unique IP"

Old April 11th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Default Betamax. Whats all this about "unique IP"

"* Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and
per unique IP address."
This doesn't make any sense to me.
Surely they would monitor this on a per account basis.
What am I missing here?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old April 11th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

On Apr 11, 8:41 pm, "Graham" wrote:
"* Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and
per unique IP address."
This doesn't make any sense to me.
Surely they would monitor this on a per account basis.
What am I missing here?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Well, it's been like that for quite some time

- hence the issues with Voxalot, which sound like they're well on the
way to being resolved now

It does seem an odd way to set up a fair use policy though, as the
people actually abusing Betamax might be a bit more agile

Old April 11th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 11, 8:41 pm, "Graham" wrote:
"* Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days
and
per unique IP address."
This doesn't make any sense to me.
Surely they would monitor this on a per account basis.
What am I missing here?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Well, it's been like that for quite some time

- hence the issues with Voxalot, which sound like they're well on the
way to being resolved now

It does seem an odd way to set up a fair use policy though, as the
people actually abusing Betamax might be a bit more agile

Although I originally summised that the Voxalot block was to do with the
unique IP address, I am not so sure now. Anyway whatever it is, it should
all be solved in two shakes of a lamb's tail (US servers do not seem to have
the problem, though)

Old April 11th 07, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Herman" wrote in message
"andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 11, 8:41 pm, "Graham" wrote:
[...]

So are you saying it's got nothing to do with the 300 min/week
and nothing to do with dynamic vs. static IP addresses (as I thought)?
It's more to do with it not working at all unless your IP was consistent
source to destination.

I did toy with the idea of networking two
Asterisk boxes across the internet, I suppose if I did I wouldn't
be able to access Betamax lines from the remote site.

I did do some tests with voxalot on Monday and found of
their three clusters only the European one seemed to have any issues.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%