Possibly a dumb question

Old April 13th 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default Possibly a dumb question

What else do you expect from me these days :-}

If you plug a router into a non-ADSL line, is it still able to give
you line stats ? (I suspect not, but it might be a function of the
carrier signal alone, rather than being able to connect)
Old April 13th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
If you plug a router into a non-ADSL line, is it still able to give
you line stats ?

No.

Old April 13th 07, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If you plug a router into a non-ADSL line, is it still able to give
you line stats ?

No.

OK cheers - I said it was probably a dumb one, but I really wasn't
sure whether it was measured by analysis of the carrier detection :-}
Old April 13th 07, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Colin Wilson wrote:
What else do you expect from me these days :-}

If you plug a router into a non-ADSL line, is it still able to give
you line stats ? (I suspect not, but it might be a function of the
carrier signal alone, rather than being able to connect)

What carrier signal ???

The only time an ADSL 'carrier' is put on the line is when it is
rewired (literally) to carry ADSL

Old April 13th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

What carrier signal ???
The only time an ADSL 'carrier' is put on the line is when it is
rewired (literally) to carry ADSL

Possibly a badly worded (on my behalf) description - back in the "old
days" modems would have a "CD" (carrier detect) light, which would
mean the line had an active signal it could use to dial out - not sure
what it would normally (?) be called, perhaps "dial tone"
Old April 13th 07, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:18:52 UTC, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

What carrier signal ???
The only time an ADSL 'carrier' is put on the line is when it is
rewired (literally) to carry ADSL

Possibly a badly worded (on my behalf) description - back in the "old
days" modems would have a "CD" (carrier detect) light, which would
mean the line had an active signal it could use to dial out - not sure
what it would normally (?) be called, perhaps "dial tone"

Nope...they were (and are) two different things. The signal on taking
the phone 'off hook' is dial tone' - the audible purring. 'Carrier
detect' is pretty much that - detection of a signal from the modem at
the other end.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 14th 07, 02:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Colin Wilson wrote:

What else do you expect from me these days :-}

If you plug a router into a non-ADSL line, is it still able to give
you line stats ? (I suspect not, but it might be a function of the
carrier signal alone, rather than being able to connect)

There won't be any stats to display since there's no ADSL signal.

Graham