WHICH WAY DO YOU WIRE A HOUSE*** HELP***!!!!!!

Old April 13th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default WHICH WAY DO YOU WIRE A HOUSE*** HELP***!!!!!!

Re-newingthe wiring system in house. Loads of options out there but
need one good for broadband and have plenty of connections in home
(have office in garden and so on....
Trouble is initially i was to instal a slave to slave system from the
nET5 which meent by the 4 point quality may not be as good i.e. phone
riniging etc...

Anyway I need 10 phone points which gives plenty of options (office ,
sky box connection, bedrooms and hall etc)
What I considered was to go from my NET5 to a junction box. from the
junction box run 5 seperate 2 pair wire to 5 master sockets. From
there between the 5 masters on 3 of them there will be 2 or less
slaves which gives me the 10 points. Thus on any single spur there
will be 1 master and a max of 2 slaves.
Should I wish to connect in a broadband router i would connect into
one of the 5 master sockets which gives better flexability.

Is this a suiatble solution to having 10 points with 5 possible
broadband locations its just useful for my set-up and future changes.
(the first connection after the net5 would be the junction box)

Hopefully someone out there can advise..

Old April 13th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Is it is a series of rented flats you are doing up ? I thought the DECT
phones put paid to multi phone sockets all around the house, keeps line
quality too. You just run a phone extension to the garden office along with
a cat 5/6 data cable.

Unless I misunderstand your question, I would just run Cat 5 /6 cable for
the broadband to the required areas from wherever you intend to site your
multi-port router (near to master BT socket) then terminate the Cat 5/6 with
rj45 sockets.

Old April 13th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Apr 13, 8:41 pm, "Gio" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

rj45 sockets.- Hide quoted text -

No normal house 3 bedroom with office in garden 35 m away and I wish
multiple points simply so i never have to worry about where things go

Old April 13th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:41:31 +0100, "Gio" mused:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As above (and the other post), wire in cat5 (2 to each point while
you're at it) but the patch panel can be anywhere. Just run a couple
of cables from the NTE to the patch panel location to get the phone
line(s) onto the cat5.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old April 14th 07, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Owain wrote:
wrote:
Re-newingthe wiring system in house. Loads of options out there but
need one good for broadband and have plenty of connections in home
(have office in garden and so on....
Trouble is initially i was to instal a slave to slave system from
the nET5 which meent by the 4 point quality may not be as good
i.e. phone riniging etc...

Could we try that bit once more, in English?

Anyway I need 10 phone points which gives plenty of options
(office , sky box connection, bedrooms and hall etc)
What I considered was to go from my NET5 to a junction box. from
the junction box run 5 seperate 2 pair wire to 5 master sockets.
From there between the 5 masters on 3 of them there will be 2 or
less slaves which gives me the 10 points. Thus on any single spur
there will be 1 master and a max of 2 slaves.

Which should be irrelevant as all sockets will be connected in
parallel.
Should I wish to connect in a broadband router i would connect into
one of the 5 master sockets which gives better flexability.

No it doesn't. It restricts you to putting the router into
one-third of your sockets.

Is this a suiatble solution to having 10 points with 5 possible
broadband locations its just useful for my set-up and future
changes. (the first connection after the net5 would be the
junction box)

No.

Use a filtered faceplate on your NTE5, run separate filtered
(phone) and unfiltered (bb) feeds to a patch panel, have a group of
patch panel sockets paralled, patch the desired bb outlet to the
unfiltered feed, and patch the other sockets for phones to the
paralleled group with
the filtered phone feed.

Better still would be to have the router as near to the NTE5 as
possible ,or at the patch panel, and distribute from there using
Ethernet.
If the house is that big have you considered a small PBX - this can
also overcome problems with too long extn wiring or too many
extensions ringing.
Wire all in Cat5 or better with double feeds to all faceplates.

Owain

There is an even simpler way, use some BT Extreme dect phones (can't
call them GAP compatable as they aren't fully), nomimal range for
those is 1000 metres (yes 1km honest) so I doubt if you'll have any
blackspots with those. Then just put ethernet network in for the
broadband & local networking between PC's, perhaps centralizing
printers, nas etc at the same time.

The phones are around 59.99 each at the present moment.

Old April 14th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On 13 Apr 2007 12:54:09 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 13, 8:41 pm, "Gio" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

As has been advised previously - run a cat5 cable to each point, be it
a telephone position or a broadband position - take them all back to a
common point, preferably where your Bt/Cabl line enters your house.
You can then patch whatever you want to them.

Futureproofing? Then run cat5 cables to pints adjacent to your washing
machine/fridge/freezeer/dishwasher etc. Don't forget to run shotgun
co-ax to wherever you think you may want to have a TV located - run
these back to a common point and then when you have your Sky
installation done you will be able to patch as required. Don't forget
to run in a coax or two from the terrestrial aerial - ready for when
you fall out oif love with Sky. Each television point should also have
at least one, preferably two, cat5 cable run to it for use with Sky
multi room and for watching proopgrammes/films etc you have saved to
your PC and wish to network.

The list is endless - the only thing that is guaranteed is that at
some poin t in the future you will wish you had added something else
to the original wiring!!!!
--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old April 14th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iguana

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why not look at:
http://www.schneider.co.uk/internet/...A0041DEA4?open

This has all the components you need to future-proof your house.

HTH

Old April 14th 07, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:39:33 +0100, "Iguana" hmm mused:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Future proof is marketing buzz word ********. How ca you install stuff
in your house to be ready for stuff that's not been invented yet? You
can't, all you can do is install with a view to being able to upgrade
shortly if funds allow, not future proofing.

Aside from that, the LexCom kit is pretty good stuff, unfortunately
the bloke showing me how to operate it on the night seemed to know
less about it than me.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old April 15th 07, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

"Iguana" hmm wrote in message
Why not look at:

http://www.schneider.co.uk/internet/...A0041DEA4?open

Actually I had a look at this, and the patch cabinet looks interesting but
the web site is a disaster! Doesn't work in Firefox, requires registration,
no prices shown. There's a phone number but it's just a recorded
announcement (no voicemail) and it's an expensive 0870. The contact form
requires your email address and phone number so they can send you spam and
call at inconvenient times. If you want an example of how to lose business
by trying to regulate your customers and frustrate them at every step, this
is a good one!

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.net

Old April 15th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:29:27 GMT, "Phil McKerracher"
mused:

"Iguana" hmm wrote in message
Why not look at:

http://www.schneider.co.uk/internet/...A0041DEA4?open

Actually I had a look at this, and the patch cabinet looks interesting but
the web site is a disaster! Doesn't work in Firefox, requires registration,
no prices shown. There's a phone number but it's just a recorded
announcement (no voicemail) and it's an expensive 0870. The contact form
requires your email address and phone number so they can send you spam and
call at inconvenient times. If you want an example of how to lose business
by trying to regulate your customers and frustrate them at every step, this
is a good one!

To be fair, it is meant to be available to registered installers only.
I can buy the stuff but as an unregistered installer I pay through the
nose and recive no suport whatsoever, although I have had a play with
some at the Schneider HQ and it's nothing too difficult.
--
Regards,
Stuart.