orange web access working?

Old April 13th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default orange web access working?

Hello,

A friend (not me, thankfully) has been lumbered with Orange as a adsl
provider. For the last three weeks, the *only* web site that has
worked for them is google (and subdomains). Every other site tried
resolves fine, and even responds to pings, but only ever serves a few
lines of html and never enough to make the site usable. Google
responds perfectly quickly, but is the only site that actually works
at all! Email works fine.

I have finally managed to get Orange to admit that the only logical
explanation is that there is a server or routing issue with their
systems..but has anyone else, on Orange or otherwise, ever experienced
such a thing?

Chandy

Old April 13th 07, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 13 Apr, 21:21, Lurch wrote:
On 13 Apr 2007 13:01:40 -0700, mused:

Hello,

A friend (not me, thankfully) has been lumbered with Orange as a adsl
provider. For the last three weeks, the *only* web site that has
worked for them is google (and subdomains). Every other site tried
resolves fine, and even responds to pings, but only ever serves a few
lines of html and never enough to make the site usable. Google
responds perfectly quickly, but is the only site that actually works
at all! Email works fine.

I have finally managed to get Orange to admit that the only logical
explanation is that there is a server or routing issue with their
systems..but has anyone else, on Orange or otherwise, ever experienced
such a thing?

Orange has worked fine for me here since we got it the other Month
(although earlier today, Friday 13th, midnight to be precise, I lost
ADSL for half an hour fr no reason), but I use OpenDNS instead of
Oranges.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

I'm actually at their place right now. As I can't get anything but
google, can you give me an OpenDNS IP to try? Worth a shot even if
DNS seems relatively stable. Can only think it must be something to
do with traffic shaping or Orange caching proxies.

Chandy

Old April 13th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 13 Apr, 21:49, wrote:
On 13-Apr-2007, wrote:
Google
responds perfectly quickly, but is the only site that actually works
at all! Email works fine.

Try Firefox, you didn't say what browser was giving the trouble.
Firefox has its own site, so Firefox ought to be
able to access its own site, and then if that works
try the Microsoft website.
If things are so screwed up you can't download Firefox,
comes on many UK magazine cover disks.
As Google works, what about the URL's/Sites that
Google returns as its results?

Sorry, wasn't clear, there are no issues at the client side (3 laptops
and 1 tower, all wireless) the issue is far more fundamental, and
definitely at the ISP. Interestingly, the google cache pages do not
work, no, but google search, images and groups all do. But as I said,
everything resolves, but only google responds with more than a few
lines of html (view source once it's stalled).

Chandy

Old April 13th 07, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 13 Apr, 23:00, Jono wrote:
It happens that formulated :

On 13 Apr, 21:49, wrote:
On 13-Apr-2007, wrote:
[...]

MTU setting a bit off?- Hide quoted text -

hmm, currently 1500 bytes?

Chandy