wireless access point recommendation please

Old April 13th 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

Default wireless access point recommendation please

I tried to be clever by using Virgin Media's kind offer of a 30 day free
trial to enable me to switch from UkOnline LLU to Sky LLU without
suffering a loss of broadband. Unfortunately UkOnline fsked up and
whilst they cancelled my direct-debit they failed to cancel the LLU with
BT. So now I'm two weeks behind schedule and facing using a free dial-up
service until Sky is installed or committing to the 12 month VM
contract. I've now decided to stay with VM for the balance of the 12
months and switch to Sky after that. Problem is that the hardware I
already had is just a wired cable router, the Linksys BEFSR41. Hence, no
wireless for when son visits from Uni. So, I want to add a WAP but I've
discovered that some WAPs can also be used to extend existing wireless
coverage and that would be a nice use for the device when I switch to
Sky. Which piece of kit? I think the "Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54
Wireless DSL Router/Access Point with 4 port switch" would perform both
tasks but I'm not sure. What would people recommend?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old April 17th 07, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , "dave @ stejonda"
writes

Problem is that the hardware I already had is just a wired cable
router, the Linksys BEFSR41. Hence, no wireless for when son visits
from Uni. So, I want to add a WAP but I've discovered that some WAPs
can also be used to extend existing wireless coverage and that would be
a nice use for the device when I switch to Sky. Which piece of kit? I
think the "Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54 Wireless DSL Router/Access
Point with 4 port switch" would perform both tasks but I'm not sure.
What would people recommend?

For anyone later finding this thread, I've gone for the Belkin
F5D7132UK.

--
dave @ stejonda