Eclipse ISP - Various Options

Old April 14th 07, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Eclipse ISP - Various Options

Appreciate any comments for Eclipse Customers.

I am considering changing ISPs, Eclipse appear to be an attractive
option as you can have a one month contract, no penalties for
cancellation and the option to change to different performance options.

However, their choice of options is really confusing me as they have an
Evolution and Home Broadband option.

I cannot get my head around their explanations regarding priority of
service for the various options.

Obviously the more expensive it is the more reliable it is to be
expected but all the Evolutions services appear to offer unlimited
downloads outside of peak hours and big allowances within the peak times
of 6pm to midnight.

They do try to explain at http://tinyurl.com/yd2asz by likening surfing
to popping out for a pint of milk but that gives me, as a potential new
customer, absolutely no idea as to what to expect.

If I get the cheapest base package am I likely to get problems using the
net for browsing, emails, shopping etc or are the problems more likely
to be with downloading any music files or the latest Ubuntu ISO

Geoff Lane
Old April 14th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

Hi moved to eclipse from plusnet. And went evoloution option 1. Like you i
was confused as to their system I took a chance and went for the cheaper
option & i have no regrets. The conection is faster / more stable then when
i was with plusnet and i can see no sign of a being a lesser priority then
others. I belive you can always move options. I have had no problems and
have even signed my parents up to the same service.

Regards

Adam

Old April 14th 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

dylan30 wrote:

I am considering changing ISPs, Eclipse appear to be an attractive option
as you can have a one month contract, no penalties for cancellation and
the option to change to different performance options.

However, their choice of options is really confusing me as they have an
Evolution and Home Broadband option.

Hi moved to eclipse from plusnet. And went evoloution option 1. Like you i
was confused as to their system I took a chance and went for the cheaper
option & i have no regrets. The conection is faster / more stable then when
i was with plusnet and i can see no sign of a being a lesser priority then
others. I belive you can always move options. I have had no problems and
have even signed my parents up to the same service.

Thanks Adam, I'm presently on an old contract (Slow speed) with Pipex
and I'd have to sign another 12 month contract to change services.

Out of curiosity, as you and your parents are both with Eclipse can you
connect on your line with your parent's log on details.

I know this is possible with some ISPs.

My daughter was with Pipex as am I, when she had a problem I could use
my log on details at her home address but strangely not the other way.

Geoff Lane
Old April 14th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

Thanks Adam, I'm presently on an old contract (Slow speed) with Pipex and
I'd have to sign another 12 month contract to change services.

Out of curiosity, as you and your parents are both with Eclipse can you
connect on your line with your parent's log on details.

I know this is possible with some ISPs.

My daughter was with Pipex as am I, when she had a problem I could use my
log on details at her home address but strangely not the other way.

Geoff Lane

I got a free netgear router when joining eclipse (12mth contract) so I gave
my old single Ethernet / usb modem to my parents and it worked with my login
detail. I have never tried the other way round so I am unable to comment. I
am reluctant to try as I don't want to risk screwing up the both account.
(if thats possible.)

changing isp was no hassle for me. My parents connection was a new
connection and they had it up and running in 5 day. So far no problems on
either account. For me its been all sunshine & not darkness with eclipse !
LOL

Regards Adam

Old April 14th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Matthews

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

Geoff,

I would suggest being very careful about changing to Eclipse. I was with
them for a number of years and my line (a fairly long one) was generally
OK(ish) getting 1.8 Mbps for months but then it would periodically slow down
to 200 kbps (or so). Eclipse Technical support just messed you around saying
"Remove Sky, the phone the dropper and so on" after doing that they would
say "try this speed test, that speedtest etc" when you had done that they
would cycle to "Remove Sky, the phone the dropper and so on" and when you
had done that they would say "try this speed test, that speedtest etc" ad
nauseum! Each cycle would take days and days and require you to send them
emails just to get them to send any response at all! The connection would
then go back to 1.8 Mbps but not due to any action on their part!

I got my MAC and went to Zen and so far have had minor slowing downs but
only to 1.2 Mbps and the line reverted to 1.8 after a few days.

Some people seem happy with them, perhaps I was just unlucky but don't
expect much from their technical support chaps!

Roger

Old April 15th 07, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek Baker

* Geoff Lane:
[...]

Don't go to Eclipse, they're terrible now:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8zjm4

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php [Click the comments for Eclipse]

I'm waiting to be activated with Vivaciti - currently on Eclipse Evo1.

--
Derek
Old April 15th 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Roger Matthews wrote:

[...]

Exactly the reason I am considering leaving Pipex.

The attractive part about eclipse is the one month contract, I don't
want a free modem and as my line is adsl activated there is no set up
fee so if I don't like them I can leave.

Geoff Lane
Old April 15th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Derek Baker wrote:

Appreciate any comments for Eclipse Customers.

I am considering changing ISPs, Eclipse appear to be an attractive
option as you can have a one month contract, no penalties for
cancellation and the option to change to different performance options.

Don't go to Eclipse, they're terrible now:

Trouble is it is so easy to fire off a newsgroup message of complaint
that I think there are complaints about all ISPs.

People do tend to complain more than compliment nowadays so I suppose in
the end it is all a gamble.

I like the sound of the one month contract though, not sureof any others
that offer that.

Geoff Lane
Old April 15th 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek Baker

* Geoff Lane:
Derek Baker wrote:

Appreciate any comments for Eclipse Customers.

I am considering changing ISPs, Eclipse appear to be an attractive
option as you can have a one month contract, no penalties for
cancellation and the option to change to different performance options.

Don't go to Eclipse, they're terrible now:

Trouble is it is so easy to fire off a newsgroup message of complaint
that I think there are complaints about all ISPs.

People do tend to complain more than compliment nowadays so I suppose in
the end it is all a gamble.

I like the sound of the one month contract though, not sureof any others
that offer that.

Geoff Lane

Lots of ISPs offer 1 month contracts. Go for one of the companies at the
top of that DSLZone page I posted. Though note some of the details
there are incorrect, check out the ISP's own pages to be sure.

--
Derek

--
Derek
Old April 15th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Derek Baker wrote:

Appreciate any comments for Eclipse Customers.

I am considering changing ISPs, Eclipse appear to be an attractive
option as you can have a one month contract, no penalties for
cancellation and the option to change to different performance options.

Don't go to Eclipse, they're terrible now:

Trouble is it is so easy to fire off a newsgroup message of complaint that
I think there are complaints about all ISPs.

People do tend to complain more than compliment nowadays so I suppose in
the end it is all a gamble.

I like the sound of the one month contract though, not sureof any others
that offer that.

Geoff Lane

It could be a gamble but only a one month one ! could be worth the chance.
when with Plusnet i was on 2mb and they upgraded to adsl max which never
worked so i down graded to 2mb and migrated to eclipse. They set up the
upto 8mb adsl max and it worked unlike plusnets adsl max. I get 3 to 3.5 mb.
So in my case what one company failed to make work another did.

Yes other may have had a crap experiance with eclipse. I am of the opinion
that all ISP's fail to deliver good service to all it's customers all of the
time. Those that it fails shout the loudest.

Good luck wherever you jump to.

Adam