Virgin.net - when an active line is not active

Old April 14th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Dunn

Default Virgin.net - when an active line is not active

I signed up with with Virgin.net and waited until I was told that
broadband was active on my line. This was sent by a text message 3
days. I tried to connect using the supplied SpeedTouch 330 USB modem
but it was telling me that the ADSL line is down and that
synchronization was needed.

I called Virgin.net broadband support (at 25pence per minute!) who
said that I should try a different filter and then try plugging in to
the main socket in the house. All of which I did but still no use.
They then said that I should wait 10 days while 'the local exchange
determines my maximum speed'. This doesn't sound right to me. Either
the line is broadband enabled or it's not. Has anyone else heard of
this? I anticipate that after the 10 days have elapsed, I'll be in
exactly the same situation and will have a further wait whilst dealing
with BT to sort the line out.

By the way, I've tried to connect on both Vista and a fresh install of
XP so I'm pretty confident it's not an OS/driver configuration
problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Old April 14th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Steve Dunn pretended :
[...]

In the absolute worst case, with ADSLMax, you can be without DSL for
the 10 day training period. That said, I doub't you'd end up keeping it
if that is the case.

Have you tried your modem connected to the test socket which would be
revealed if you remove the bottom half of your BT master socket's face
plate? If not, then do so.

Old April 14th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve Dunn wrote:

They then said that I should wait 10 days while 'the local exchange
determines my maximum speed'. This doesn't sound right to me.

It isn't. Whoever you spoke to was a raving lunatic. Tell them to pull their
finger out.

Graham

Old April 14th 07, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve Dunn wrote:

I anticipate that after the 10 days have elapsed, I'll be in
exactly the same situation and will have a further wait whilst dealing
with BT to sort the line out.

You can't get BT to fix it yourself without paying them. Virgin *have* to do
this.

In the meantime insist that Virgin don't bill you for a service they haven't
supplied. Give them a time period you want it enabled and working by ( 7 days
would be fine ) and put it in writing. Explain that if you don't get
satisfaction they have failed to honour their contractual obligation and demand
refund of any monies. And then find a decent ISP that knows what it's talking
about.

Graham

Old April 14th 07, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jono wrote:

Steve Dunn pretended :
[...]

You reckon he ought to wait 10 days with no sync at all ? That sounds pretty
daft advice to me !

Have you tried your modem connected to the test socket which would be
revealed if you remove the bottom half of your BT master socket's face
plate? If not, then do so.

He already said he did.

Graham

Old April 14th 07, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Eeyore formulated on Saturday :

Jono wrote:

Steve Dunn pretended :
[...]

No, I didn't suggest that at all.

Have you tried your modem connected to the test socket which would be
revealed if you remove the bottom half of your BT master socket's face
plate? If not, then do so.

He already said he did.

No he didn't

Old April 15th 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On 14 Apr 2007 05:28:03 -0700, "Steve Dunn"
wrote:

I signed up with with Virgin.net and waited until I was told that
broadband was active on my line. This was sent by a text message 3
days. I tried to connect using the supplied SpeedTouch 330 USB modem
but it was telling me that the ADSL line is down and that
synchronization was needed.

Hi Steve

I'm not that close to the ADSL service, but if you want to drop me an
e-mail with some account details etc I'll see if I can get someone to
assist.

HTH

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Old April 15th 07, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Dunn

wrote:

I signed up with with Virgin.net and waited until I was told that
broadband was active on my line. This was sent by a text message 3
days. I tried to connect using the supplied SpeedTouch 330 USB modem
but it was telling me that the ADSL line is down and that
synchronization was needed.

Hi Steve

I'm not that close to the ADSL service, but if you want to drop me an
e-mail with some account details etc I'll see if I can get someone to
assist.

HTH

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Product Management, Virgin Media

Thanks to everyone that's replied. Yes, I have tried the master
socket (the one behind the faceplate). Re. the 10 days: I also
thought this was flannel!
I called customer services who assured me that if the technical
support guy said 10 days, then he is more than qualified to say that
and they all have vast experience.
But as you say, if it's no synchronised, then you can guess what the
maximum speed is going to be after 10 days!

Cheers,

Steve

Old April 15th 07, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On 15 Apr 2007 04:55:02 -0700, "Steve Dunn"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone that's replied. Yes, I have tried the master
socket (the one behind the faceplate). Re. the 10 days: I also
thought this was flannel!
I called customer services who assured me that if the technical
support guy said 10 days, then he is more than qualified to say that
and they all have vast experience.
But as you say, if it's no synchronised, then you can guess what the
maximum speed is going to be after 10 days!

Hi Steve

I got your mail and shall pass it on.

Alex

Old April 16th 07, 04:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve Dunn wrote:

I called customer services who assured me that if the technical
support guy said 10 days, then he is more than qualified to say that
and they all have vast experience.

Vast expereince licking Branson's bottom I expect.

Move to a decent ISP.

Graham