Virgin.net and Netgear DG834G ?

Old April 15th 07, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Virgin.net and Netgear DG834G ?

I have today fitted a Netgear DG834G for someone who uses Virgin.net
broadband. Despite being connected and reporting upstream and downstream
speeds + SN Ratio etc, the unit failed to CHAP, and aquire an IP dress from
the server. Does anyone have a cure forr this? Surely its not a problem
using a DG834G with Virgin.net is it?

Thanks
Steve

Old April 15th 07, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Len

"Steve" wrote in message
I have today fitted a Netgear DG834G for someone who uses Virgin.net
broadband. Despite being connected and reporting upstream and downstream
speeds + SN Ratio etc, the unit failed to CHAP, and aquire an IP dress
from
the server. Does anyone have a cure forr this? Surely its not a problem
using a DG834G with Virgin.net is it?

Thanks
Steve

Does this person still have access to the Internet via a modem perhaps? If
so, point them in the direction of this group and I can give them the
correct settings. It will be easier than involving anyone else. There are
too many experts about that only know how to unpack something from a box but
haven't a clue how to follow simple instructions or where to do a bit of
research.
The DG834G is fine with Virgin and many other ISPs.

All routers providing they are the correct type will work with any ISP.
It's only the settings that need to be correct.

Old April 15th 07, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"Steve" wrote in message
I have today fitted a Netgear DG834G for someone who uses Virgin.net
broadband. Despite being connected and reporting upstream and downstream
speeds + SN Ratio etc, the unit failed to CHAP, and aquire an IP dress
from
the server. Does anyone have a cure forr this? Surely its not a problem
using a DG834G with Virgin.net is it?

Thanks
Steve

Don't forget that Virgin's ADSL login user name is "

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old April 15th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

"Len" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Len
Perhaps you could help me with my problem that I have just posted re
using the router with macBook?
Lynn

Old April 15th 07, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Len" wrote in message

Does this person still have access to the Internet via a modem perhaps?

If
so, point them in the direction of this group and I can give them the
correct settings. It will be easier than involving anyone else. There

are
too many experts about that only know how to unpack something from a box

but
haven't a clue how to follow simple instructions or where to do a bit of
research.
The DG834G is fine with Virgin and many other ISPs.

All routers providing they are the correct type will work with any ISP.
It's only the settings that need to be correct.

Len if you could help me on his behalf I would appreciate it. I am helping
an elderly gentlemen (in his mid eighties) to go wireless with a laptop. He
recently lost his wife and he is moving all but his main PC downstairs so he
doesn't need to trail up and down the stairs too much. He already has
Virgin.net connected using a Speedtouch 330 (upstairs on a desktop), but the
DG834G fails to give him an IP address from the virgin.net server. I know
there is nothing wrong with his line or service as it already works with the
speedtouch. If you would be happy to help me, I am the one doing the job
for him.

Thanks
Steve

Old April 15th 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric James

"Steve" wrote in message

Len if you could help me on his behalf I would appreciate it. I am

helping
an elderly gentlemen (in his mid eighties) to go wireless with a laptop.

He
recently lost his wife and he is moving all but his main PC downstairs so

he
doesn't need to trail up and down the stairs too much. He already has
Virgin.net connected using a Speedtouch 330 (upstairs on a desktop), but

the
DG834G fails to give him an IP address from the virgin.net server. I know
there is nothing wrong with his line or service as it already works with

the
speedtouch. If you would be happy to help me, I am the one doing the job
for him.

Thanks
Steve

If the virgin net website support was any good you would not need to ask in
here.

Unfortunately though their website technical support is crap and
contains no settings whatsoevevr for the various popular routers on sale
today. Their website is nothing short of useless.

Perhaps they prefer to rip off their cutomers by getting them
to call the 0906 support line instead?

Just my thoughts

Old April 15th 07, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Steve" wrote in message

"Len" wrote in message

[...]

It may help if you posted current settings, substitute user details but post
what you have so far.

It may help others in seeing the problem and being able to help.

Old April 15th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"Steve" wrote in message
I have today fitted a Netgear DG834G for someone who uses Virgin.net
broadband. Despite being connected and reporting upstream and downstream
speeds + SN Ratio etc, the unit failed to CHAP, and aquire an IP dress
from
the server. Does anyone have a cure forr this? Surely its not a problem
using a DG834G with Virgin.net is it?

Thanks
Steve

Settings from my Netgear DG834G

Router plugged into power and ADSL filter, connected to PC via ethernet
link.
Via IE goto 192.168.0.1 and login using Admin as username and Password as
password.
These can be changed later.

Goto BASIC settings

Does your Internet Connection require a login - Y
Encapsulation - PPPoA
Login - "user
Password - Virgin password
Idle Timeout - 0
Internet IP Address Get Dynamically from ISP
Internet IP Address Get Automatically from ISP
NAT Enable

Goto ADSL Settings

Multiplexing Method - VC-Based
VPI - 0
VCI - 38

Goto Wireless Settings

Wireless Network
Name (SSID) - Netgear
Region - Europe
Channel - Choose 1 to 11, your choice depends on interference etc
Mode - g & b

Wireless Access Point
Enable Wireless Access Point
Allow Broadcast of name (SSID)
Disable Wireless Isolation

Security Options

Select one as you desire and then follow instructions from Netgear help Menu
/ manual

BEFORE you setup the Wireless Lan make sure you have Internet connectivity
via the ethernet connection.

Hope this helps you out. These are my settings as given by the Netgear setup
Wizard and I connected 1st time.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old April 15th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Paul Woodsford wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Why didn't you just say run the setup wizard & be done with it??

Old April 15th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Paul Woodsford" wrote in message

Login - "user

Thanks for that Paul, actually everything is set up just the same as yours,
except the owner of the account assured me his login
was "user and not "user as you
have stated. I bet its the login thats at fault. Is there any chance you
could try logging in with "user and let me know if your
router is reporting that it is connected, but fails to get an IP address. I
am having to work with this gentlemen at distance and every time I try
anything I have to drive 20+ miles to his place. I dont know why I get
involved with these distant people as its just a pain in the ass when things
dont work out first time round. I'm an experienced user of the Netgear 834
having installed more than 60 of them for customers, but I have never
installed one on virgin.net (until now) and I have checked google only to
find that several people are reporting problems with DG834's on Virgin.net,
specifically regarding some versions of firmware.

I would appreciate what your router reports, if you try logging in with
"user as the login name. What really threw me off track
was his log-in name was "user using his speedtouch 330
modem setup.

Thanks, Steve