A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Troubles in setting QoS



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 14th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurkos
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Can anybody help me in setting QoS in my ADSL router?
Must I put the IP of my SIP provider in "Destination IP" field and my
local IP in "source IP"?
What is the source and the destination netmask?
The router vendor didn't write any manual. :-(
Thanks in advance.

Router: UT-Starcom UT-300R2U
Screenshot:
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4802/ipqos1vu9.png
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/152/ipqos2iw1.png

--
Lurkos

  #2  
Old April 15th 07, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Loz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Lurkos wrote:
Can anybody help me in setting QoS in my ADSL router?
Must I put the IP of my SIP provider in "Destination IP" field and my
local IP in "source IP"?
What is the source and the destination netmask?
The router vendor didn't write any manual. :-(
Thanks in advance.


For source netmask, to match only the IP of the machine which you are
calling from use 255.255.255.255

I'd guess the same would apply for destination IP. If it is an ATA you
are using I'd match from the IP address of the ATA to any destination
address.
  #3  
Old April 16th 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurkos
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Loz wrote:
Can anybody help me in setting QoS in my ADSL router?
Must I put the IP of my SIP provider in "Destination IP" field and my
local IP in "source IP"?
What is the source and the destination netmask?
The router vendor didn't write any manual. :-(
Thanks in advance.

For source netmask, to match only the IP of the machine which you are
calling from use 255.255.255.255
I'd guess the same would apply for destination IP. If it is an ATA you
are using I'd match from the IP address of the ATA to any destination
address.


Thanks a lot for your answer. Very useful!
Does the IP port of SIP is 5060/UDP?
Do you have any idea on what "TOS Marking" mean?
Is it a way to indicate the priority of the packets?

--
Lurkos

  #4  
Old April 16th 07, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Loz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Lurkos wrote:


Thanks a lot for your answer. Very useful!
Does the IP port of SIP is 5060/UDP?
Do you have any idea on what "TOS Marking" mean?
Is it a way to indicate the priority of the packets?



I think the only way is to set the packets as High (all unmarked will be
sent low anyway - so don't worry about catching everything!)

It's a bit of an art to get QoS working on these routers I have found -
it's not very well documented anywhere. But it does seem to work well
once you get it set up. Since from what I've seen there is no way to
specify how much outgoing bandwidth you have, do I assume it works it
out from your sync rate?

I have just set up a WRT54G with Tomato firmware, QoS on that is an
absolute breeze and very, very impressive!
  #5  
Old April 17th 07, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurkos
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Loz wrote:
I think the only way is to set the packets as High (all unmarked will
be sent low anyway - so don't worry about catching everything!)


Yes...
I have to prioritize only the VoIP packets and not e.g. p2p/www
packets.
Do you think that is the right way to prioritize (set to High) the
ports used by SIP/RTP, e.g. 8000-8001/UDP?

It's a bit of an art to get QoS working on these routers I have found
- it's not very well documented anywhere.


Unfortunately you are right...

But it does seem to work well once you get it set up.


This is a great news. :-)

Since from what I've seen there is no way to specify how much
outgoing bandwidth you have, do I assume it works it out from
your sync rate?


Excuse me... I can't understand exactly what you mean... :-)
My connection is an ADSL 4096/512.
However I can't find any possibility to set a rule based on bandwidth.
The only possibility is to set a rule based on IP and/or Port.

--
Lurkos

  #6  
Old April 17th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Loz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Lurkos wrote:

I have to prioritize only the VoIP packets and not e.g. p2p/www
packets.
Do you think that is the right way to prioritize (set to High) the
ports used by SIP/RTP, e.g. 8000-8001/UDP?


I think so. Hopefully someone else in this group can confirm. Are you
using a softphone?


Excuse me... I can't understand exactly what you mean... :-)
My connection is an ADSL 4096/512.
However I can't find any possibility to set a rule based on bandwidth.
The only possibility is to set a rule based on IP and/or Port.


That's what I meant. In order for QoS to work it needs to know how much
bandwidth there is available before you will experience packet loss. I
assume it must just take the sync rate (i.e: 512k upstream bandwidth
available)

You cannot really control downstream bandwidth since it's too late by
the time it has got to your router.
  #7  
Old April 17th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Loz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default Troubles in setting QoS


Lurkos wrote:

I have to prioritize only the VoIP packets and not e.g. p2p/www
packets.
Do you think that is the right way to prioritize (set to High) the
ports used by SIP/RTP, e.g. 8000-8001/UDP?



I logged onto a router, which I believe is the same chipset. Running
router-tech firmware

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3750/qosdslzf7.jpg

I'd just check 'normal service' under TOS markings, since they won't be
honored by your ISP anyway.

A quick check seems to verify that these settings work.
  #8  
Old April 18th 07, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Clark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Loz wrote:

Excuse me... I can't understand exactly what you mean... :-)
My connection is an ADSL 4096/512.
However I can't find any possibility to set a rule based on bandwidth.
The only possibility is to set a rule based on IP and/or Port.


That's what I meant. In order for QoS to work it needs to know how much
bandwidth there is available before you will experience packet loss. I
assume it must just take the sync rate (i.e: 512k upstream bandwidth
available)


You (the user) don't really need to know, as QoS just controls how the
router picks packets to send. If you are sending at a rate below the
outside interface's line rate (ie the ADSL part for an ADSL router) QoS
doesn't make the slightest difference.

It only comes into effect where there is more than can be handled where
it chooses what to send and what to drop rather than deciding at random.

So I suppose what you say makes sense (it does need to know the line
rate of the ADSL interface), but isn't something you set any more than
you can set the line rate for a 10baseT interface (it just "is" 10Mbit).
  #9  
Old April 18th 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Loz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Stuart Clark wrote:
You (the user) don't really need to know, as QoS just controls how the
router picks packets to send. If you are sending at a rate below the
outside interface's line rate (ie the ADSL part for an ADSL router) QoS
doesn't make the slightest difference.

It only comes into effect where there is more than can be handled where
it chooses what to send and what to drop rather than deciding at random.

So I suppose what you say makes sense (it does need to know the line
rate of the ADSL interface), but isn't something you set any more than
you can set the line rate for a 10baseT interface (it just "is" 10Mbit).




Totally correct, but that's not really what I was getting at. I
appreciate that you probably know the information below, and the OP
won't need to really know this, but I'm going to write it anyway

Say you had a 10Mbit line into your ISP (Physically) but they police you
at 5Mbps since that's all you want to pay for.

The interface is connected at 10Mbit, but you won't be able to send that
rate (well without them blackholing the traffic at their end for you) -
so you'd need to specify the shape rate at 5Mbps at your end, or else
the QoS will be inefficient for your needs.

This doesn't matter for ADSL since you'll almost always be able to send
the sync rate (once you've taken account of ATM overhead) - but with a
cable router you'll need to specify it since the speed from the router
to the cable modem will typically be 100Mbps

I still prefer being able to specify everything, but this makes things
more complicated I guess. This is something I actually think Cisco
equipment handles very well indeed, but it's slightly over-budget for
nearly all home use.

On my other post with the screenshot, using those settings does appear
to work - and if I prioritise ICMP as well - pings generally stay around
40ms - so should work for voice. If I turn the QoS off it shoots upto
over 1000ms!

Actually specifying traffic for the ingress direction seems to work too
- unless I'm imagining things. My guess is that it starts dropping
packets on the lower classes first in this direction too - which will
cause TCP to backoff, thus resulting in the amount of data physically
coming downstream.

Effect on router CPU isn't too significant either - with Utorrent
happily using a couple of hundred connections.

And off-topic: Is anyone having trouble with AIOE's news server, seems a
lot of posts are taking ages to come through and I'm unable to post
through it? (Well it lets me but posts never show up!)
  #10  
Old April 18th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Clark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Troubles in setting QoS

Loz wrote:
Stuart Clark wrote:
You (the user) don't really need to know, as QoS just controls how the
router picks packets to send. If you are sending at a rate below the
outside interface's line rate (ie the ADSL part for an ADSL router) QoS
doesn't make the slightest difference.

It only comes into effect where there is more than can be handled where
it chooses what to send and what to drop rather than deciding at random.

So I suppose what you say makes sense (it does need to know the line
rate of the ADSL interface), but isn't something you set any more than
you can set the line rate for a 10baseT interface (it just "is" 10Mbit).


Totally correct, but that's not really what I was getting at. I
appreciate that you probably know the information below, and the OP
won't need to really know this, but I'm going to write it anyway

Say you had a 10Mbit line into your ISP (Physically) but they police you
at 5Mbps since that's all you want to pay for.


I see what you are getting at, but I'd argue that is a different feature
connected but independent of QoS, being bandwidth throttling. And a lot
of routers which might support QoS don't also do throttling :-(

It is unfortunate that more don't include such feature as they aren't
really that complex to write (though making them simple to control for
the average user can be a challenge) as they just use CPU rather than
needing additional hardware (assuming the CPU power is sufficient as is
RAM/flash), especially for the increasingly common case of cable modems
with 100baseT connectors.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wireless networking troubles tishtash uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 7 February 26th 07 02:17 PM
SPA3000 troubles Thomas Kenyon uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 July 7th 06 09:08 PM
Voipstunt + OKI ATA troubles Jan De Luyck uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 4 June 30th 06 08:25 AM
Printer troubles Iain Dingsdale uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 February 15th 05 11:49 AM
wireless troubles rodgerdodger uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 November 25th 03 11:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.