BT Speedtest Results - Help Required

Old April 15th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grapefruit Man

Default BT Speedtest Results - Help Required

My line test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ gave the following results:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
*** IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
*** DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)**4416 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
*** Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 450 kbps

What exactly do the results mean? - If my line is 500kbps, then why is
my downstream DSL connection rate 4416kbps?
Old April 15th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Grapefruit Man" wrote in message
My line test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ gave the following results:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4416 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 450 kbps

What exactly do the results mean? - If my line is 500kbps, then why is
my downstream DSL connection rate 4416kbps?

BT has put a profile on your line of 0.5mb as - even though you are syncing
much higher - it has determined that your connection is only stable at this
lower speed so has essentially capped it.

Sounds way too low for that connection. I suggest contacting your ISP and
having them raise the issue with BT. Depending on how competent your ISP is
(and how well trained the CS staff are) this could be simple or prove
difficult.

Old April 15th 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Grapefruit Man wrote on Sun, 15 Apr
2007 at 13:44:25:
My line test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ gave the following results:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
*** IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
*** DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)**4416 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
*** Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 450 kbps

What exactly do the results mean? - If my line is 500kbps, then why is
my downstream DSL connection rate 4416kbps?

The IP Profile is a rate limit calculated and imposed by BT equipment in
order to regulate the amount of traffic from the BRAS (Broadband Remote
Access Server) to the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) at
your exchange, so that the ADSL link to your router/modem isn't overloaded.
It will always be lower than your recent sync rates. Unless the process has
gone wrong, it shows that your downstream ADSL sync rate has been as low as
576 kbit/s to 1151 kbit/s sometime during the last 3 days. If your sync
rate were to stay at 4416 kbit/s for 3 days, then your IP Profile should
increase to 3500 kbit/s. Can you keep an automatic log of sync rates in
order to check? On the other hand, the process *has* been known to go
wrong, resulting in a "stuck BRAS rate" or "stuck IP Profile" - only your
ISP can get BT to unstick it.

There's much more detail on web sites such as
http://freespace.virgin.net/adsl.test/doc2.pdf,
http://aaisp.net/maxmagic.html,
http://aaisp.net/maxatm.html and
http://newsnet.googlepages.com/maxdsldiagnostics.

--
Tony
Old April 15th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grapefruit Man

Thanks for your replies. My ISP had a problem a few days ago (more than
3), causing limited to no service for a number of users. My line has been
slow ever since. I'll speak to them on Monday. Thanks again.
Old April 15th 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Out of interest which ISP are you with?

BT's IP profile rate is always lower than the sync rate, normally in
magnitude of near Mb. I sync at 8128 but my IP profile is 7150 though yours
does seem very low for that sync rate. Should be about 3500Mb.

Dan

Old April 15th 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:17:04 UTC, "Dan"
wrote:

Out of interest which ISP are you with?

BT's IP profile rate is always lower than the sync rate, normally in
magnitude of near Mb.

There's a table at the bottom of this page:

http://aa.nu/adsl/maxatm.html

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 16th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grapefruit Man

wrote:

Out of interest which ISP are you with?

BT's IP profile rate is always lower than the sync rate, normally in
magnitude of near Mb.

There's a table at the bottom of this page:

http://aa.nu/adsl/maxatm.html

I don't want to say who they are and create bad press for them. I chose
them as they have some excellent reviews. I'm pretty sure it's because of
a system problem they had a while ago. Hopefully they'll sort it out
quickly.