Belkin router problem

Old April 15th 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default Belkin router problem

I've come across two Belkin D5D7632-4 ADSL wireless routers recently, which
when configured with the correct connection username & password fail to
connect, and show "Timeout in LCP negotiation" in their logs. Both these
routers were bought from PC World (one from the Norwich shop, the other from
the Bury St Edmunds shop) at the end of December 2006.

Problem easily resolved by supplying a router from a different manufacturer.

Curiously I've bought several of these models from Micro Warehouse (also
owned by DSG retail, as is PC World), and they've always worked OK. It's
not apparent that there are different versions of firmware ...

Has anybody else seen this problem with Belkin routers?

--
Graham J

Old April 15th 07, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"Graham" wrote in
:

I've come across two Belkin D5D7632-4 ADSL wireless routers
recently, which when configured with the correct connection
username & password fail to connect, and show "Timeout in LCP
negotiation" in their logs. Both these routers were bought from
PC World (one from the Norwich shop, the other from the Bury St
Edmunds shop) at the end of December 2006.

Problem easily resolved by supplying a router from a different
manufacturer.

Curiously I've bought several of these models from Micro
Warehouse (also owned by DSG retail, as is PC World), and
they've always worked OK. It's not apparent that there are
different versions of firmware ...

Has anybody else seen this problem with Belkin routers?

Yes. I didn't note the router model number but it was a Belkin ADSL
wireless router purchased recently from PC World in mid-Jan 2007. I
was called in because the customer who'd bought it couldn't get it
to work. I tried everything I could think of, to no avail, then
tried a Linksys router, which worked first time as expected. I left
it to my customer to take the apparently faulty unit back for a
refund.

BTW: The failure of the external PSUs for these routers is a common
problem. I've seen around 6 faulty ones, and in one case the
replacement also failed a few months later. Fortunately Belkin
don't make a fuss re replacement under warranty.

Needless to say, Belkin routers are no longer on my 'recommended'
list; they're dirt cheap, but just not worth the hassle.

Old April 16th 07, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow wrote:
BTW: The failure of the external PSUs for these routers is a common
problem. I've seen around 6 faulty ones, and in one case the
replacement also failed a few months later. Fortunately Belkin
don't make a fuss re replacement under warranty.

Needless to say, Belkin routers are no longer on my 'recommended'
list; they're dirt cheap, but just not worth the hassle.

Their support is pretty rotten too. After some problems with a WAP, I've
got into an endless loop with them - After many weeks of pointless try
this, try that, we've, quite literally, returned to a useless earlier
answer, word-for-word, straight from support's script. I've had no reply
since I pointed this out and asked for escalation.......

Belkin are well onto my "never again" list.