Netgear firmware upgrade

Old April 15th 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

Default Netgear firmware upgrade

Can someone tell me if I choose Router Upgrade (Netgear DG834G) does
is allow me to download the upgrade to disc or does it somehow
automatically start upgrading.
Lynn

Old April 16th 07, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Barlow

"Lynn W" wrote in message
Can someone tell me if I choose Router Upgrade (Netgear DG834G) does is
allow me to download the upgrade to disc or does it somehow automatically
start upgrading.
Lynn

You must first download the firmware upgrade from the Netgear website.
Then select "Router Upgrade" and it says "Locate and Select the Upgrade File
from your Hard Disk" - Browse to the location you have saved the upgrade to,
then click on "Upload"

Old April 16th 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Lynn W formulated the question :
Can someone tell me if I choose Router Upgrade (Netgear DG834G) does is allow
me to download the upgrade to disc or does it somehow automatically start
upgrading.
Lynn

You first download it, then use the web interface of the router to run
the upgrade - choosing where ever you saved the file as the source.
Once the upgrade is installed the router does a reboot. Some suggest it
can cause problems if you do this over a wireless link, but that is the
only way I have done it and without any problems so far.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old April 16th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Lynn W" wrote in message
Can someone tell me if I choose Router Upgrade (Netgear DG834G) does is
allow me to download the upgrade to disc or does it somehow automatically
start upgrading.
Lynn

Download the Recovery Utility first just in case it goes wrong:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102417.asp

Then download the firmware and make sure it's for your version.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv2.asp

Old April 16th 07, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message ...
Lynn W formulated the question :
Can someone tell me if I choose Router Upgrade (Netgear DG834G)
does is allow me to download the upgrade to disc or does it
somehow automatically start upgrading.
Lynn

You first download it, then use the web interface of the router to
run the upgrade - choosing where ever you saved the file as the
source. Once the upgrade is installed the router does a reboot.
Some suggest it can cause problems if you do this over a wireless
link, but that is the only way I have done it and without any
problems so far.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Thank you everyone for your replies, I have now downloaded the
upgrade. Anyone any idea how long it takes install the upgrade?
Lynn

Old April 16th 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Lynn W wrote:
:
: Thank you everyone for your replies, I have now downloaded the
: upgrade. Anyone any idea how long it takes install the upgrade?

About 2 minutes maximum! You can see the touter lights flashing as
it uploads and installs the new firmware...then it is just the normal
router boot time. All user settings should be retained.
Old April 17th 07, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

About 2 minutes maximum! You can see the touter lights flashing as
it uploads and installs the new firmware...then it is just the normal
router boot time. All user settings should be retained.

But backup settings just in case before you start.

Old April 19th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn Williamson

On 16/4/07 20:47, in article , "Brian
McIlwrath" wrote:

Lynn W wrote:
:
: Thank you everyone for your replies, I have now downloaded the
: upgrade. Anyone any idea how long it takes install the upgrade?

About 2 minutes maximum! You can see the touter lights flashing as
it uploads and installs the new firmware...then it is just the normal
router boot time. All user settings should be retained.

I have now upgraded my router and all is working great. Thanks everyone.
Lynn