MAC question

Old April 16th 07, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

Default MAC question

I've signed up with Sky using my MAC code from Pipex.

Do I need to seperately advise Pipex to cancel my contract or does that
happen automatically as part of the migration process?

Thanks.

Old April 16th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TrentSC

I've signed up with Sky using my MAC code from Pipex.

Do I need to seperately advise Pipex to cancel my contract or does that
happen automatically as part of the migration process?

Thanks.

It should be automatic, but for the sake of a short email it could save you
a lot of time if you let them know.

Old April 16th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I've signed up with Sky using my MAC code from Pipex.
Do I need to seperately advise Pipex to cancel my contract or does that
happen automatically as part of the migration process?

I believe they should, in theory, automatically cancel. It has been
mentioned elsewhere that you might be better also confirming when
you've been changed over.

Note: if you pay by card, change your payment method NOW to direct
debit - the phuckers have taken another month off my debit card,
despite me changing to direct debit !

I think the 30 day notice period is supposed to start from when you
*first* ask for your MAC code, not the date they bother their arse to
provide one.

If (when) you have problems with them taking more than they should out
of your account etc. here are some email addresses to play with...
emailing the Chief Exec direct seems to get a fairly rapid response -
i've already had a phone call today about my refund for the terminated
account, and I only sent it in the early hours of this morning...

(not sure on this one...)

Old April 16th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Grant wrote:
I've signed up with Sky using my MAC code from Pipex.

Do I need to seperately advise Pipex to cancel my contract or does
that happen automatically as part of the migration process?

You will need to, if you have not already done, give Pipex notice and pay
them any money due.

Peter Crosland

Old April 16th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Peter Crosland wrote:

: You will need to, if you have not already done, give Pipex notice and pay
: them any money due.

This is incorrect! Use of the MAC code informs the previous ISP that they
should cancel. It's generally worth checking but it SHOULD be automatic!
Old April 16th 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

: You will need to, if you have not already done, give Pipex notice and pay
: them any money due.

This is incorrect! Use of the MAC code informs the previous ISP that they
should cancel. It's generally worth checking but it SHOULD be automatic!

Use of the MAC does indicate this, but you are relying on the losing ISP
being advised of the use of the code.

Old April 17th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

You will need to, if you have not already done, give Pipex notice
and pay them any money due.

This is incorrect! Use of the MAC code informs the previous ISP that
they should cancel. It's generally worth checking but it SHOULD be
automatic!

I think it is you that are wrong and probably optically challenged as well.
All the MAC code does is provide a mechanisim for BT to switch the customer
from one ISP to another. The ISP that has issued the MAC will not know the
cessation date unless BT inform them and it is by no means certain that they
will do so. Until the ISP knows when the transfer date is they cannot
finalise billing.

Peter Crosland

Old April 17th 07, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Peter Crosland wrote:

: I think it is you that are wrong and probably optically challenged as well.

What's this personal insult! Just because you are wrong!

: The ISP that has issued the MAC will not know the cessation date

Wrong!

: unless BT inform them

They will.

: and it is by no means certain that they will do so.

It's YOU who are wrong. The previous ISP knows EXATLY when the MAC code
is applied!
Old April 17th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

I think it is you that are wrong and probably optically challenged
as well.

What's this personal insult! Just because you are wrong!

The ISP that has issued the MAC will not know the cessation date

Wrong!

unless BT inform them

They will.

and it is by no means certain that they will do so.

It's YOU who are wrong. The previous ISP knows EXATLY when the MAC
code is applied!

If you are going to quote then at least do it correctly. This was what was
originally said.

"Grant wrote:
I've signed up with Sky using my MAC code from Pipex.

Do I need to seperately advise Pipex to cancel my contract or does
that happen automatically as part of the migration process?

You will need to, if you have not already done, give Pipex notice and pay
them any money due."

To which you replied

"This is incorrect! Use of the MAC code informs the previous ISP that they
should cancel. It's generally worth checking but it SHOULD be automatic!"

So your reply was quite wrong. The ISP is obliged by OFCOM rules to supply a
MAC code within seven days of it being requested. The issue of giving the
ISP the legally required contractual notice is a quite separate issue.
Regardless of the issue ISP being told the cessation date by BT or not the
customer still needs to give the ISP notice. That was what the OP asked
originally.

Peter Crosland

Old April 17th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:

You will need to, if you have not already done, give Pipex notice
and pay them any money due.

This is incorrect! Use of the MAC code informs the previous ISP that
they should cancel. It's generally worth checking but it SHOULD be
automatic!

I think it is you that are wrong and probably optically challenged as
well. All the MAC code does is provide a mechanisim for BT to switch the
customer from one ISP to another. The ISP that has issued the MAC will not
know the cessation date unless BT inform them and it is by no means
certain that they will do so. Until the ISP knows when the transfer date
is they cannot finalise billing.

Peter Crosland

Might not be the case for all ISPs but Pipex definitely take a request for
MAC as your 30 day notice period. After 30 days they cancel your account
whether you actually used the MAC or not - you need to email them if you
change your mind.

Of course they usually continue to bill you but that is more to do with
their useless billing dept.