Virgin Media/NTL troubles

Old April 16th 07, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

Default Virgin Media/NTL troubles

I have been with NTL for several years now supplying cable tv,
telephone and broadband. The problem I have has been going on since
before Christmas 2006, when I kept loosing my internet connection. The
only way to get it back was to reset the set top box that supplies the
TV. There were lots of posts around that time saying that many people
in the SE London area were having that same trouble. They even
suggested changing LAN settings (which seemed to work for a while).
NTL then updated the TV service (not for the better). I frequently
have to reset the box and the channel information rarely works and
just displays the same programme information regardless of which
channel is being viewed.
I also loose my phone connection for hours/days - This was put down to
a failure in the roadside box suppying the whole road and to be fair
has not failed for about a month now.
The big problem is broadband, which fails sometime 2-3 times a day! It
is only supposed to be a 1mb connection so I can't really say about
the speed but running online speed tests come up with about 600-750
kb.
Having to reset the box to get the internet back and sometimes having
to reboot the pc as well is getting rather trying and were it not for
my not having a BT line I would try another service. I don't know
where the trouble lies. The transfer to Virgin Media has made no
difference to the service - other than loosing Sky news and Sky one.
Having to reset the box, the TV problem and a past problem with the
phone tend to make me suspect NTL/Virgin but can it be a connection
problem to my router (linksys WRT54G). From router to desktop pc via a
cable and a wireless connection to a laptop.

Any help please?

Old April 16th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pickard

"Ron" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Have you logged a fault with VM? If not then thats the first thing I would
do. If you have then what have they done so far?

Simon

Old April 16th 07, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On 16 Apr 2007 08:40:19 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

I have been with NTL for several years now supplying cable tv,
telephone and broadband.

Please drop me an e-mail with full details of your problems along with
your account details and I'll get someone to look into them.

Thanks ...

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Old April 19th 07, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

Please drop me an e-mail with full details of your problems along with
your account details and I'll get someone to look into them.

I did as you asked and an engineer came down the following day. He
replaced the box and even readjusted the tv picture settings for me. I
now have everything working fine.

What more can I ask?

Thanks to all for a great service
Ron

Old April 20th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On 19 Apr 2007 06:29:03 -0700, Ron wrote:

Please drop me an e-mail with full details of your problems along with
your account details and I'll get someone to look into them.

I did as you asked and an engineer came down the following day. He
replaced the box and even readjusted the tv picture settings for me. I
now have everything working fine.

Great - thanks to hear it. Please shout if any more issues.

Cheers

Alex

Old April 20th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Alex Brown
writes
On 19 Apr 2007 06:29:03 -0700, Ron wrote:

Please drop me an e-mail with full details of your problems along with
your account details and I'll get someone to look into them.

I did as you asked and an engineer came down the following day. He
replaced the box and even readjusted the tv picture settings for me. I
now have everything working fine.

Great - thanks to hear it. Please shout if any more issues.

Alex, although I was always very impressed with the speed with which NTL
sent someone out to - change the stb / add/remove/change the feed
attenuator / tweak the levels on the box in the road - I eventually got
sick & tired of needing to request it repeatedly and switched to ADSL.
I'm hoping that using one of your cable modems will result in a more
stable service for the coming year.

--
dave @ stejonda