VoIP Analogue Gateway suggestions

Old April 16th 07, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JoeH

Default VoIP Analogue Gateway suggestions

Our typical VoIP installations utilise ISDN Gateways (BRI&PRI). I have
a requirement to install a PBX but to interface the PSTN network using
analogue lines (2 x FXO). In the past I have tried both Clipcomm and
Grandstream gateways but have had limited success in getting these to
work. The problems were generally related to echo, gain and the
inability to detect both hangups, ringing and callerID in some cases.
Compared to ISDN, they're a right pain...

I've got the most recent Grandstream 4104 gateways but the volume is
far too low, even when the gain is adjusted. I was wondering if
anybody can suggest an analogue gateway that works well on BT phone
lines? How do you find the quality compared to say an ISDN BRI
circuit?

I considered using multiple SPA3102s as multiple trunk lines and using
failover - but figured there must be a nicer solution. I'm tempted to
insist on using ISDN2.

Old April 17th 07, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

JoeH wrote:
I considered using multiple SPA3102s as multiple trunk lines and using
failover - but figured there must be a nicer solution. I'm tempted to
insist on using ISDN2.

ISDN2 is the way forwards. You may save a bit of money faffing with
gateways, but ISDN lines are so much nicer to work with. Do you really
want a customer who just wants to the cheapest answer?

Or use SIP trunks with a dedicated DSL line, or a decently qos box with
a good router (AR7 chipset, no ALG) and proper filtering of the DSL from
the analogue.

Tim
Old April 17th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Henk van Andel

"JoeH" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I would suggest using a FritzBox. Even the simplest model ('Classic').
satisfies yout requirements. Omit using the ADSL modem and connect to LAN +
(incoming) ISDN from whereever you want. Nice and quality solution for
ISDN-PSTN conversion and you can use the (10) SIP account possibilities at
the same time.

Alternative: a FritzBox Surf & Phone box, ISDN in/out + 3x analog. No SIP,
no ADSL modem. I have one for E 20 + postage, as new in original box. The
'Surf' refers to the possibiliti to connect a PC (serial) and use the
serial/ISDN conversion.

Grz Henk