Wireless Router advice

Old April 16th 07, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default Wireless Router advice

"Delta" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:26:48 +0100, Lurch wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:45:16 +0100, Delta mused:

I need a new wireless router but not sure which make to buy. Any
suggestions to the most reliable make (which is also straightforward to
install) gratefully received

Netgear DG834G(T).

Would that have a good strong signal do you know ? The 3com I have now is
not powerful enough to reach from one side of my house where my office is
to the other via various walls and doors (60 feet)when using my wireless
laptop.

Most routers offer much the same output power. This is limited by
legislation. The actual limit is the radiated power, so for the transmitter
a high gain antenna will be no help.

However the receiver will benefit from a high gain antenna - effectively
this means that a given signal at the antenna will arrive at the receiver
input increased by the gain factor of the antenna. Antennae generally
achieve their gain by being directional; this gives the advantage that they
can minimise on-channel interference from other transmitters not in the same
general directin.

It also helps if the receiver is more sensitive. So the wireless devices
that give better performance probably have a more sensitive receiver.

Therefore both the wireless router and the adapter in the laptop will affect
performance.

As others have suggested, a wireless repeater placed at an intermediate
location might improve performance and allow you more flexibility in
placement of the laptop.

--
Graham J