unplugging router

Old April 17th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default unplugging router

hi

my internet connection is fine through my belkin router - either wireless or
wired ..

but if i remove the router and plug the ethernet cable directly into the
cable modem i get no internet??

anyone know why?
is there a windows setting i need to change or something?

thanks
Dave

Old April 17th 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 17-Apr-2007, "dave" wrote:

my internet connection is fine through my belkin router - either wireless or
wired ..

but if i remove the router and plug the ethernet cable directly into the
cable modem i get no internet??

anyone know why?
is there a windows setting i need to change or something?

Maybe your router is providing DHCP (allocating IP addresses)
a gateway to the outside world address, and is acting as a
DNS server (which translates URL's from names to numbers).

So if you remove your router you need to reconfigure things
and use the information supplied by your ISP, since they
are now supplying these services.

How to set up things to work directly from the cable modem
depends on the modem, make, model, how many RJ45
ethernet ports, wireless capability and whether your ISP
provided it pre-configured with their firmware.
Old April 17th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham2

"dave" wrote in message
hi

my internet connection is fine through my belkin router - either wireless
or wired ..

but if i remove the router and plug the ethernet cable directly into the
cable modem i get no internet??

anyone know why?
is there a windows setting i need to change or something?

thanks
Dave

Could just be something as simple as a crossover/straight-thru cable config
?. Otherwise check your settings.

Graham

Old April 17th 07, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On 17-Apr-2007, "dave" wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this anyway..? If things are
working, why try and fix them..?

Ivor

Old April 17th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

dave wrote:
hi

my internet connection is fine through my belkin router - either
wireless or wired ..

but if i remove the router and plug the ethernet cable directly
into the cable modem i get no internet??

anyone know why?
is there a windows setting i need to change or something?

thanks
Dave

If you are going to do this you will need to turn everything off then
re-arrange the leads turn on your cable modem, let that settle down
then turn on your PC. Likewise to go back to the router
configuration, turn everything off, re-arrange the leads, once again,
turn on cable modem, wait .....turn on router then turn your PC back
on, but why the hell go through all that trouble just to swap a router
in & out. Just leave it be if it's working & find something else to
worry about..

Old April 17th 07, 06:34 PM
STREETBOY STREETBOY is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
hi

my internet connection is fine through my belkin router - either wireless or
wired ..

but if i remove the router and plug the ethernet cable directly into the
cable modem i get no internet??

anyone know why?
is there a windows setting i need to change or something?

thanks
Dave

HI DAVE, HAVE YOU TRIED TO CONNECT YOUR ETHERNET CABLE FROM YOUR COMPUTER THEN UNPLUG POWER SUPPLY FROM MODEM, LEAVE IT FOR ABOUT 1 MINUTE THEN PUT POWER LEAD BACK IN, THIS REBOOTS MODEM, RESETTING THE IP AND DCHP SETTINGS. ALSO REBOOT COMPUTER AT SAME TIME THIS TELL YOUR NETWORK CARD TO RELOAD SETTINGS FOR DCHP
Old April 17th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 17-Apr-2007, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this anyway..? If things are
working, why try and fix them..?

With the risk of ending up with nothing working.
Then you have to start setting up from square one.
Create a new connection and all that.
I'd do ipconfig /all before you start.
Then you'll know what settings were working,
if it all goes pear shaped.
Old April 17th 07, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rick Stevens

another thing to consider is that the MAC address of your router will be
different to the MAC address of your computer, You may have to turn your
cable modem off for possibly a couple of hours (dependant on how long your
ISP gives an IP lease for) to allow your present IP lease to expire, then
you should be able to attach directly.

You may also have the same problem when you reconnect your router unless you
clone the MAC address from your PC to the router

Rick