Old May 14th 20, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Powerline brands to avoid?

Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

No, they're all as bad as each other. I've never known any stay working
for longer than about 2 years.

In some circumstances they work well but if you're unlucky ...

.... this time of year just drop a long Ethernet patch cable out of the
window and down to her room and leave the windows open a crack.

--
Graham J