Old May 14th 20, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

Default Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 15:27, Chris wrote:
On 14/05/2020 14:47, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/05/2020 14:28, Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two
days. Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi
may not be reliable enough - although she streams films all the
time. So am considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables
through the house and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best,
only what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock.
Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

They look like a newer 600Mbps version of the 300M ones I have had
for ages.

Never had any bother with them. Basically plug and play wired
equivalent but without having to run any physical wire. Mine actually
works at a reduced speed across two independent ring mains of
different distribution boards one for the extension and one for the
main house. I didn't really expect it to work that well but was
pleasantly surprised.

The link speed to the extension is still way faster then my ADSL
internet service at 5Mbps so browsing and zoom are fine even there.
Wifi struggles to get signal through some of my thicker walls.

Thanks. Ordered a set. We'll see how it goes tonight.

try to make sure there is a pass through socket and investigate whether
you want the ethernet sockets on the top or bottom of the adapter.