Old May 14th 20, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

Default Powerline brands to avoid?

On Thu, 14 May 2020 14:47:22 Martin Brown wrote:

On 14/05/2020 14:28, Chris wrote:
My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two
days. Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi
may not be reliable enough - although she streams films all the time.
So am considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through
the house and down a floor.
Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best,
only what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?
Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock.
Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

They look like a newer 600Mbps version of the 300M ones I have had for
ages.

Never had any bother with them. Basically plug and play wired
equivalent but without having to run any physical wire. Mine actually
works at a reduced speed across two independent ring mains of different
distribution boards one for the extension and one for the main house. I
didn't really expect it to work that well but was pleasantly surprised.

That answers a question I was going to ask. I have exactly the same
situation with a granny annex with its own distribution board.

So how far does the signal go through the power cables. Does it go
beyond the incoming mains cable to the house. If not, what stops it?

David