Problems with Sky Email - need help please

Old April 18th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Problems with Sky Email - need help please

A mate of mine went on Sky Broadband about a month ago but has never been
able to get his email working correctly. He says it throws up an error
message wbut when I asked what it was, he couldn't remember, so tomorrow
night I'm going to use UltraVNC to remotely access his machine and hopefully
sort it out.

Is Sky email a web-based thing or can it be accessed by POP3/SMTP through
Outlook Express - and if OE can be used, what are the server settings? Oh,
and is the username the whole or just the xxx bit?

Cheers folks,

John

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Old April 18th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Len

"John" wrote in message
news
A mate of mine went on Sky Broadband about a month ago but has never been
able to get his email working correctly. He says it throws up an error
message wbut when I asked what it was, he couldn't remember, so tomorrow
night I'm going to use UltraVNC to remotely access his machine and
hopefully sort it out.

Is Sky email a web-based thing or can it be accessed by POP3/SMTP through
Outlook Express - and if OE can be used, what are the server settings? Oh,
and is the username the whole or just the xxx bit?

Cheers folks,

John

--

Why don't you just tell him to come to the group and the information can be
given directly to him. It will save you pretending you can fix it, not

Old April 18th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Len" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well, thanks for that rather helpful reply Len. With a little more effort
you could be impossible rather than just ineffectual.

Why don't you just tell him to come to the group and the information can
be given directly to him

He hasn't got a clue about newsgroups, nor does he have any inclination to
find out about them. On top of that, he knows that he can come to me for
help and I have access to the groups.

I get the feeling you are not only going to access his computer just once,
and if I was him I wouldn't let you

Well, if it was you I wouldn't offer to help in the first place. With the
system I use, the person needing the help has to initiate the connection
between us and they have complete control. All I can do is to wait for the
incoming connection and then accept it. Once either of us clears down, only
they can reinstate it.

And finally, far from being thick as you seem to think I am, I served a
4-year apprenticeship to become an electrician, later worked as a cable
jointer on BT, and if you click on this link
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/hnc.jpg you'll see that I have an HNC in
computing, as well as being Cisco CCNA certified - the HNC is the only
paperwork in this desk but I'll be happy to scan the other certificates for
you tomorrow if you wish.

If you cannot be helpful when someone asks for help, please do not say
anything at all.

John.

Old April 18th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

John laid this down on his screen :
A mate of mine went on Sky Broadband about a month ago but has never been
able to get his email working correctly. He says it throws up an error
message wbut when I asked what it was, he couldn't remember, so tomorrow
night I'm going to use UltraVNC to remotely access his machine and hopefully
sort it out.

Is Sky email a web-based thing or can it be accessed by POP3/SMTP through
Outlook Express - and if OE can be used, what are the server settings? Oh,
and is the username the whole or just the xxx bit?

Sky pop mail is very flakey - webmail seems OK.

Why not simply set up a googlemail account? That way, if he ever leaves
Sky, you won't have to go through it all again.

Old April 18th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

John wrote:
A mate of mine went on Sky Broadband about a month ago but has
never been able to get his email working correctly. He says it
throws up an error message wbut when I asked what it was, he
couldn't remember, so tomorrow night I'm going to use UltraVNC to
remotely access his machine and hopefully sort it out.

Is Sky email a web-based thing or can it be accessed by POP3/SMTP
through Outlook Express - and if OE can be used, what are the
server settings? Oh, and is the username the whole or
just the xxx bit?
Cheers folks,

John

Sky servers (well the last time I checked)

pop.sky.com
smtp.sky.com

Username = username, not

password is the same as that to log into the SKY Broadband site

After doing all that & setting it up, it will work around once a week
if you're lucky (mine works less than that) but you do have an option
of login into the Sky Broadband site & using webmail..

Personally if your friend wants a usable email account then they
should think about hotmail or the like which are free or searching
around & paying for one with better services, he can even get a
personalised email address if he wants which will never change, even
when he changes ISP...

Understand I'm not saying they never work, it's just that they are
very unstable & more than a few have made other arrangements...

Old April 18th 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"kraftee" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much Jono and Kraftee. That's how to do it Len - take note for
future reference.

John.

Old April 18th 07, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

John wrote:
A mate of mine went on Sky Broadband about a month ago but has never been
able to get his email working correctly. He says it throws up an error
message wbut when I asked what it was, he couldn't remember, so tomorrow
night I'm going to use UltraVNC to remotely access his machine and hopefully
sort it out.

Is Sky email a web-based thing or can it be accessed by POP3/SMTP through
Outlook Express - and if OE can be used, what are the server settings? Oh,
and is the username the whole or just the xxx bit?

Sky's e-mail is severely broken, I'll be surprised if you get any joy
what so ever. I've been trying to get my brothers e-mail working for a
few weeks now with no success. This information from their tech support
may be of some use (though it didn't work for me).

=========
We are currently experiencing technical issues with our log in facility,
however, to resolve this follow these steps:-

- Go to
www.sky.com
- Click 'login/register'- top right of page
- Click 'password help' (do not enter username at this point)
- Enter 'username'
- Click 'Next'
- Enter security question, answer (usually Mothers Maiden Name)
- Create new password (password must be between 7 and 12 characters with
at least 1 number and in lower case)
- If does not accept, try numerous times
- Click 'Next'
- You should get confirmation of new password
- Once this is completed, click 'My Sky' tab within sky.com
- Click 'My Sky Profile'
- Log in with username and (new) password
- Click 'View My Sky Profile'
- On the bottom right hand side, click 'Edit'
- If you wish a new password, enter here and update information which is
unpopulated i.e. place of birth etc.
- Click 'Submit'

Now your profile will be saved with the new information and you will be
able to log into www.skybroadband.com
I trust this helps, however should yo u require any further assistance
please reply to this email or call us on 08705 515 515. Lines are open
24 hours a day.
Kind regards

Alan
Sky Broadband Technical Support
=========

Report back and let me know if you have any luck!

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail
Old April 19th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"James Luff" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that James - I'll certainly keep you informed of the outcome
although, after all I've read, I think you already know what it'll be (

John.

Old April 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

James Luff wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

They've been experiencing issues for at least 6 months now. When does
an issue become a feature??