BT Fusion help needed

Old April 18th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default BT Fusion help needed

I can get a good deal on BT Fusion at the moment but need more info if
anyone can help. For those who don't know, BT Fusion is basically a mobile
phone service and it works just like any other mobile phone except that it's
also WiFi-enabled.

This means that when you are within range of a BT Openzone WiFi HotSpot (any
hotspot, anywhere in the country), or your own BT HomeHub Wireless Router,
the phone connects over the broadband connection rather than the "standard"
mobile phone network - and when it's doing that, for every 4 minutes you
actually talk, you're only using 1 of your inclusive minutes. In other
words, if all of my 100 inclusive minutes were used within range of a
HotSpot or my HomeHub, in reality I would actually get 400 inclusive minutes
)

Anyway, my problem is this: If I sign up, they'll send me a free BT
HomeHub - but I have an excellent wireless router already (Linksys WAG54GS)
and it works brilliantly, whereas I've heard a lot of horror stories
regarding the HomeHub. And they're bloody great big ugly things to boot - so
I really don't particularly want to have to use one.

Anyone know if BT Fusion can work with my existing Linksys router?

Cheers,

John

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Old April 18th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:09:08 +0100, "John"
wrote:

[...]

I expect not, because BT's broadband service management platform
(Motive HDM) will more than likely expect to 'see' only a BT HomeHub
and not your Linksys device.

Thanks Mark. I was sort of expecting that really but hoping against hope
that I was mistaken. Ah well, serious thought now as to whether I want to
give one of those horrible things house room )

Cheers mate,

John

Old April 19th 07, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

Anyway, my problem is this: If I sign up, they'll send me a free BT
HomeHub - but I have an excellent wireless router already (Linksys
WAG54GS) and it works brilliantly, whereas I've heard a lot of horror
stories regarding the HomeHub. And they're bloody great big ugly things
to boot - so I really don't particularly want to have to use one.

I returned a Fusion phone back to them only yesterday for this reason
amungst others our BT hub nd hub phone are sat in the spare room
collecting dust having ditched them and bought a linksys within hours
of them arriving.

Anyone know if BT Fusion can work with my existing Linksys router?

No chance .

Thanks clavox, thought as much (

John.

Hey Mark and clavox - just had a thought. I was thinking I'd have to give up
my Linksys altogether but a possible work around might be that one of the
ethernet ports of the Linksys is hard-wired to a network point upstairs. I
reckon I should be able to connect the HomeHub to that and just make it act
as a wireless access point for the Fusion handsets. The Linksys will still
be the one connected to the ADSL and the outside world, but the HomeHub will
be on the network so it should work - shouldn't it? )

John

Old April 19th 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
IPGURU

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It may work my problem is we run our own mail server and one can only
use the DMZ for one application as far has I know plus the HH DMZ does
not want to know our mail server software anyway tried it and the
reason for the Linksys being here . Having said that I am still
pondering about getting the fusion back I want a new contract mobile
at a reasonable rental rate .

Why not leave the BT router in the DMZ & port forward Mail packets to
the correct PC (this will also help reduce the chance of hacking to your
mail server) these are usually 25 for SMTP & 110 for pop3