Strange Wiring Configuration?????

Old April 19th 07, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Fisher

Default Strange Wiring Configuration?????

I think i might have a longstanding wiring configuration thats not helping me cure an
internet connection problem i have (constand dropping of connection, wildly varying
speeds, etc.......the usual problems people get with internal wiring problems, i suspect)
Can anyone knowledgable tell me if this seems correct..........
Going from the phone backwards as it were the wiring is as follows:
The phone is connected to a linebox (which, for the purpose of trying to cure above
problem, i have the phone and internet connected directly into the test socket, at the
back of faceplate, with filter)
Then, there is a short cable of about 40cm leading to a junction box. The junction box
(just above the skirting board) then has, not one, but TWO cables coming out of it which
run under the carpet along the room wall to 2 downstairs extensions, which, because i am
connected to the test socket are dead.
I also have a long disused extension going upstairs, which i suspect is the one giving me
the problem, as the cabling for THIS extension seems to go from the rear of the junction
box, and through the outside wall, then up the outside of the house, and into a bedroom.
I took the cover off the junction box just now, and there are three connector blocks
inside, and a jumble of wires that i felt i should leave well alone.
Would this "rogue" extension be the cause of my problem, in as much as it might still be
"live" even though i am connected to the test socket?
I cant plug a phone in to this upstairs connection without moving a lot of heavy and
fitted furniture, so i cant see if its live or not, tbh

Any clues, anyone?

Peter

Old April 19th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Peter Fisher wrote:
[...]

Won't the "rogue" extension also be dead with the master
socket faceplate removed?

The master socket will usually accept only one, or at most
two, cables on its terminations. That will be why a
junction box was used. As long as the faceplate's off, all
the extension wiring should be disconnected.
Old April 19th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

JW wrote:

Peter Fisher wrote:
[...]

That's certainly how it *should* be - though not necessarily how it *is*.

To the OP: How many terminals are there, and in use, in the junction box? If
it has been done properly, there should be at least 5. Two of these will be
for the incoming pair, and will connect it through to the A and B terminals
in the fixed part of the linebox. The other 3 will be for the extension
wiring, and will go - in one direction - to the back of the removeable
faceplate at the linebox and - in the other direction - to the extension
sockets.

It is just possible that the upstairs extension could be connected to the
incoming pair rather than to the wires coming back from the faceplate - in
which case they could be acting as an aerial and picking up a lot of noise.
If you can identify this cable, I'd disconnect it at the junction box in any
case, if it's no longer needed.

The other thing to check is that the cable carrying the incoming pair
between the junction box and the linebox is actually using a twisted *pair*
of conductors, and not just any two conductors taken at random from a
multi-core cable. If it *is* a pair, both conductors will use the same
colours - e.g. blue with white, and white with blue.
--
Cheers,
Roger