Eclipse Evolution and FUP

Old April 19th 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

Default Eclipse Evolution and FUP

What I find attractive about Evolution is that peak hours are described
as 6-12pm every day, which would suit me just fine. However, I don't
quite know how to interpret the FUP.

Can someone on Option 1 or 2 please confirm/clarify these things for me:

- if you stay within your monthly peak hour allowance, there is no
traffic shaping, even if, perhaps, you use all your allowance in one day?

- is off-peak allowance really unlimited? I can't imagine doing it for
one minute, but if I downloaded 100GB over the month would they start
restricting? More to the point, I suppose, does anyone know at what
point they might start throttling your account?

Yep, I have been to the website and raised the query with their CS, but
I reckon you always get a better feel from the users.
Old April 20th 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

They don't need to throttle anything because it's so slow all the time,
used to be a great ISP, now a load of ****.

Old April 20th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

Forgive the top posting but it makes it easier to respond to Jon, responding
to bypass

Eclipse has become (at least on my Exchange) hopeless! My line with Eclipse
slowed to 200 kbps or so (from 1.8 Mbps) and after weeks their useless
technical support team had not helped at all. I migrated to Zen and 1.8 Mbps
was restored straightaway. They say they don't throttle (presumably because
if they did your line would stop altogether!)

Roger

Old April 26th 07, 02:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 20 Apr 2007 14:58 +0100, "Roger" wrote:

Eclipse has become (at least on my Exchange) hopeless! My line with Eclipse
slowed to 200 kbps or so (from 1.8 Mbps) and after weeks their useless
technical support team had not helped at all. I migrated to Zen and 1.8 Mbps
was restored straightaway. They say they don't throttle (presumably because
if they did your line would stop altogether!)

Horses for courses - I've had no problems with Eclipse in past 10+
months on their 14.99 Evolution level 1 account. Generally d/l
30-50 GB a month (mostly outside the 1800-0000 peak time,
though did get a stock letter recommending Evolution 2!)
Old April 26th 07, 02:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Apr 2007 11:32 +0100, Bypass wrote:

Can someone on Option 1 or 2 please confirm/clarify these things for me:

I'm on Evolution 1, and have been from most of a year now.

- if you stay within your monthly peak hour allowance, there is no
traffic shaping, even if, perhaps, you use all your allowance in one day?

I've seen nothing to suggest traffic shaping only applies at peak
times... As far as I am concerned, people on levels 2/3/4 will
always have higher priority than me, on level 1. The only thing
that's different in peak hours is that traffic will be counted against
the monthly allowance

- is off-peak allowance really unlimited? I can't imagine doing it for
one minute, but if I downloaded 100GB over the month would they start
restricting? More to the point, I suppose, does anyone know at what
point they might start throttling your account?

They seem more likely to 'require' you to upgrade to a higher level
as their options seem limited - there's no mention of individuals on
different speeds, just " level 4 gets greater priority than 3, 2, 1".
We stream audio and video most days, sometimes for hours (at
least 3 Windows PCs here, plus iMac and linux) such as when the
Snooker is on, with different snooker games being available. I'd
expect traffic this month to reach 40-50 GB (where ~30 GB is a
minimum most months). Lots of complaints about poor speeds,
eg on dslzoneuk.net and lately some speed tests have been a
bit low... if you expect 50/ 75/ 100 GB I'd go for lev 2/ 3/ 4.